starting strength gym

Thread: Back questions,

Default Back questions,

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Since i cant do cleans in my gym, ive been doing 2 days of pull ups and 1 day of deads each week.

i feel that maybe teh pull ups are not helping advance my deadlift so i have a few questions..

would it be better to add rack pulls and barbell shrugs to my week instead of pull ups?

stick with pull ups, until can nail 15 and move on to weight?

switch to chin ups

or break out barbell rows or t bar rows.. blasphemy i know......

I don't want to over fatigued my back but i wanna make sure im doing what i can to assist my deadlifts.

thanks

Best case scenario is to find a way to do cleans. What is it about your gym that prevents it?

I've had some luck moving my deadlift up with accessory work in a circuit.

Something like three rounds of weighted back extensions, RDL or SLDL, GM and fast pulls from the ground.

I'll find a weight that's manageable for all of the barbell exercises for 5-8 reps. For me, setting the bar in the 185-255 range for three exercises is a nice conditioning workout that also moves my deadlift. Obligatory disclaimer: YMMV and you might die.

die young die strong :P

now i have a job that is phsicla that im using my back all day every day, how would that come into play for over training? i find i cant do hypers often cause my back is already sore form work, over worked perhaps. i do like 15 and at the 10 mark my back all of a sudden gets very hard and stiff.

is barbell shrugs a bad idea at only 3-4 months of training? i have a strong back from work and i am in my 30's not 16, am i by standards still to undeveloped to do this with out great risk of injury