starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fixing this back angle shit

Default Fixing this back angle shit

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTg-k9eBDek

This is my third set from tonight's squats (275/5x3). My back angle is all over the place. I'm also doing some silly shit at the top that I don't usually do, so ignore that. Should I be cueing myself with "big chest" to keep my hips from shooting up faster than my shoulders? Thanks.

5'9" 200lbs btw.

Your back angle looks okay to me. You're going quite a bit deeper than you need to.

In the last two reps my hips seem to come up too fast and my back angle decreases (becomes closer to parallel). First two I think I maintain the back angle OK. Might try some different camera angles tomorrow.

Im no expert by far but I watch alot of vids and work hard on form. Your back angle looks good and the bar path on 1,3,4,5 was real good. on 2 you went a bit forward but it still looked good.

Agree.. Looks good to me, do you feel like your back is getting loose? Try cuttin off the depth a little and see how it feels

Chest up! Chest up!

Quote Originally Posted by 30French View Post
    In the last two reps my hips seem to come up too fast and my back angle decreases (becomes closer to parallel). First two I think I maintain the back angle OK. Might try some different camera angles tomorrow.
    I see what you mean. As someone pointed out above, you're getting a little too deep, fix that first. Think Up! Up! Up! all the way down to the bottom, this tightens the hamstrings, which is what you are bouncing off of.

As far as the back angle goes, you are correct - we'd cue "chest up!" when we start to see back angle drift towards horizontal like this. Since this was your third working set, it's not surprising to see it get worse as th set goes on - something has to break down, after all. So, if it gets worse, you may need to call it a failed rep and start doing the stall protocol - repeat the workout, etc, to see if it fixes itself.

Do you do this on your warm-up sets, or is it only on the heavy sets?

A little too deep? What this is, bodybuilding.com?

That was a perfect looking squat. Your form is not suffering because of depth so keep it up. ATG all the way.

(bar might be too low though, double check that.)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in ATL View Post
    Do you do this on your warm-up sets, or is it only on the heavy sets?
    Just on the last few reps of the work sets. I reread the section about thinking Up Up! on the way down to maximize the bounce, this may cut my depth closer to parallel too...

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by 30French View Post
    Just on the last few reps of the work sets. I reread the section about thinking Up Up! on the way down to maximize the bounce, this may cut my depth closer to parallel too...
    If it's just the last few reps of the last set, then IMO you are eventually going to miss a rep this way. No big deal, something has to break down for a rep to be missed. Then you do the stall protocol thingie (repeat the workout, etc, etc.). Cutting off some depth *might* help this, or it might make it worse - for whatever reason, some people have an easier time going a little deeper than others (I know this from personal experience), but the point, as I'm sure you understand, is to hit just below parallel for both reduced stress on the knee as well as maximal muscle mass involvement, and not necessarily to make it easier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast