starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: about weight gain

Default about weight gain

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Ive been doing SS for 2 weeks now. Ive put on 5 pounds so far. Heres the thing. I can see my legs have gotten bigger but what i can see more is that my stomach is getting most of the weight gain. I warm up with decline sit ups and finish up with captain chairs. probably more stomach work than ive ever done. Is this normal? I dont want a six pack or anything but I dont want a fat belly either.
    Im hoping that this is just initial and will not continue.

No, if u keep doing plenty of situps, that should burn your belly fat right off.

Quote Originally Posted by nkelman View Post
    No, if u keep doing plenty of situps, that should burn your belly fat right off.
    Spot reduction. Get some.

ah ha ha ha. A more serious response: spot reduction is impossible. Situps don't burn abdominal fat. They do, however, make your abdominal muscles stronger and possibly bigger, which will exaggerate the effect of adding a little fat to your belly. The short answer is: don't worry about it. You'll get a little more fluffy, but you'll also get a lot more muscular, and then it's not terribly hard to lose the weight again. The exception is if you're already actually FAT or get to the point where you could be accused of being such, then you should not be trying to gain much weight.

The answer is pretty simple... if you're eating in a way that gains you 2.5lb/wk it means you'll have more food being processed in your stomach all the time, hense the look of a fatter midsection.

I accidentally stopped gaining weight one week during my bulk-up and I suddenly noticed abzors where there was previously some flub. So I panicked and bought a double bacon cheeseburger and a liter of milk.

Don't worry. Eat big, lift big, get strong.

Who are these people who squat, press, and deadlift and then say, "Hmm, doesn't feel like I got my abs today, time for situps."?

Minnesota Raised, Live in California now.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan: Now With Food View Post
    Who are these people who squat, press, and deadlift and then say, "Hmm, doesn't feel like I got my abs today, time for situps."?
    I was just about to say that. Well said.

otoh, I beleive that the penciled-in example log in SS:BBT has situps as a warmup pre-squats.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan: Now With Food View Post
    Me and my buddy would train, and as we walked to the change room after I say something like "Aw FUCK! we forgot to do our leg raises. How the shit am I gonna get an awesome six-pack if I forget my fucking leg raises?" Meanwhile I'm covered in chalk, soaked in sweat, and carrying my hardcore looking lever belt, as we walk by the guys that just spent an hour on abs and nothing else.

I'm a shit disturber.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
    otoh, I beleive that the penciled-in example log in SS:BBT has situps as a warmup pre-squats.
    I'll betcha that individual had weak abs that hindered his ability to do lifts such as the press properly.

I had a client that was in that boat, but I was having her doing situps anyway to prepare for a military fitness test that was coming up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast