• starting strength seminar december 2024
    M
    5'4" 140lb
    S210
    B150
    DL225
    P110
    C unknown

This is what I've achieved fucking around with SS the last 6 weeks or so. Meaning I don't eat enough and have been as consistent as possible with my workouts. There is room for improvement.

I'm wondering if anyone could make a recommendation for subbing cleans. I'd love to be doing them, but the rec center where I'm currently training doesn't have a proper bar or bumper plates. That said I'm still hitting them with light weight from the hang position. Should I continue with that or just sub in something else?

While I'm at it I have one more question. Does this count as a stall? Last week squats looked like M: 215x3x1 210x5x2 (I had nailed 210 Fri for 3 sets with no problem). Then W: 215x4x2 210x5. Should I have stuck out 215 for another 4 or even 3? It was feeling real heavy.

The good news is my press is looking good. That Tommy S video helped a lot with my start. What a great technique!

You could try power snatches. They are lighter, therefore easier to drop without bumpers. Plus, I think they are more fun than power cleans.

Hang cleans + Clean pulls are best replacment IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Age_of_Aquarius View Post
    Hang cleans + Clean pulls are best replacment IMO
    If the problem is the fact that he can't drop the bar, that won't fix it.

I never dropped the bar when I tried clean pulls, they were always controlled like with deadlifts.

Well what about rack pulls? And wasn't back extensions + chins recommended as a replacement too?

Rack pulls are a deadlift substitute/assistance lift.

You don't need bumber plates to do a POWER clean. I have never dropped a missed power clean, ever. A full clean is a different story, cause a miss in the full squat position, either a missed rack, or you can't stand up, requires a dumped bar. But any reasonably coordinated person should be able to catch a missed POWER clean in the hang position. The trick is to use the whole body to absorb the bar's fall. Learning to absorb force is as important in life as training to produce it.

Well, fuck, put some plates under the bar. Done.

Power cleans can be done from several different positions anyway. Ripping from the floor is not the major problem. A bar that doesn't spin correctly is. And I would argue that missing a power clean is just as important as missing a full clean. Anyway, I'm just looking for a substitute if there is one.

And if anyone wanted to lay some wisdom on my last question about stalling that would be great.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Power cleans can be done from several different positions anyway. Ripping from the floor is not the major problem. A bar that doesn't spin correctly is. And I would argue that missing a power clean is just as important as missing a full clean. Anyway, I'm just looking for a substitute if there is one.

And if anyone wanted to lay some wisdom on my last question about stalling that would be great.
    The bars at my gym have rubber sleeves. Rubber fucking sleeves that don't spin, as they are made from fucking rubber. So I feel you. I can power snatch without much problem, though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast