starting strength gym

Thread: Help me understand weightlifting shoes

Default Help me understand weightlifting shoes

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I'm new here and new to SS. However, after a while of doing bodybuilding splits and not seeing what I wanted and lacking strength overall, I've decided to come back to SS.

I am getting very serious about SS and enjoying it a lot. I have the book and the DVD but after a lot of search on the forums here and google in general, I still am unsure about the differences in weightlifting shoes.

Without actually being able to find the post, it seems that Rip recommends (obviously since there is a specialty shoe designed around it) a 0.5" heel on weighlifting shoes. Why is that? Is there a huge benefit to that size heel compared to a .75" or 1" heel?

I only ask because I live in Toronto and there is only one place that sells a weightlifting shoe and that is the Kanama. It looks like a great shoe but all over the internet I've heard people mention the heel is 25mm, 1-1/8" and other numbers, can't seem to find a consensus.

So it boils down to this. Is a smaller heel really necessary for a 6'3" male with a size 12 shoe? Is the hassle of ordering online worth the .5 or .75" heel compared to the 1" that is mostlikely on the Kanama.

Thank you for reading and helping!

It's the height differential people are talking about. I believe standard oly shoes are usually a ~one inch heel, but they're also elevated a quarter inch in front, such that the differential is .75". The Rip shoes are like .75/.25, so only a half inch differential.

Honestly, standard oly shoes are absolutely fine, no need to go the .5" differential route. The only place it gets slightly disadvantageous is with deadlifts - with a good sized heel, deadlifts are a little harder (the bar is moving a greater distance due to your own elevation). I prefer not to deadlift in oly shoes anyways, though, so you can always just take them off. Deadlift slippers, for example, can be ordered online and are dirt cheap.

At the risk of sacrilege, I have to say that my 2 year-old Cons treat me very well.

Jon, why not drop in on the Kanama mfg's gym and see if you can check out their product. I've only ever heard good things about them. Shit, if you really care, you might even be able to get a custom heel.

Quote Originally Posted by blowdpanis View Post
    Honestly, standard oly shoes are absolutely fine, no need to go the .5" differential route. The only place it gets slightly disadvantageous is with deadlifts - with a good sized heel, deadlifts are a little harder (the bar is moving a greater distance due to your own elevation). I prefer not to deadlift in oly shoes anyways, though, so you can always just take them off. Deadlift slippers, for example, can be ordered online and are dirt cheap.
    Of course, Rip makes the case that the extra use of your quads you get out of a healed shoe overcomes the height difference. Individuals mileage may vary, so it might be worth trying it both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by jon108 View Post
    Is the hassle of ordering online worth the .5 or .75" heel compared to the 1" that is mostlikely on the Kanama.
    I'm not sure what you mean by hassle, but I ordered a pair of Rippetoe shoes from Rogue's website and it was totally easy and painless. I like the shoes a lot, they're a lot more stable and secure than the Chucks I had been lifting in.

I wear converses, but I squat oly style. I find it helps with stability if I place my heels on thin 2 lb plates. I guess this probably provides the same sort of thing as the shoes. I've noticed it makes a big difference with stability.

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigVan View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by hassle, but I ordered a pair of Rippetoe shoes from Rogue's website and it was totally easy and painless. I like the shoes a lot, they're a lot more stable and secure than the Chucks I had been lifting in.
    Rouge is great, a piece broke off of one of my shoes shortly after getting them, they sent me a new pair no questions asked.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by LudwigVan View Post
    Sorry, what I meant was that it would be a hassle ordering my first ever pair of weightlifting shoes online simply because I don't know how they fit and would hate to have to return them and continue waiting till my shoes arrive. I have heard very good things as well about the guys at Rogues but I want them asap. Probably going to try and head to Kanama this weekend to get a pair.

Thanks for all the helpful replies everyone!