starting strength gym

Thread: Friend With Scheuermann's Kyphosis

Default Friend With Scheuermann's Kyphosis

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Coach,

I have a friend with scheuermann's kyphosis (hunchback in the thoracic vertebrae). For the past few months he's wanted me to start helping him start a lifting program (either CrossFit or SS based) and I'm afraid to get him doing anything heavy because I don't know how it will load his back. His doctor from a spine clinic gave him the "if it doesn't hurt, I guess you're ok," response, but is it safe for him to begin a heavy lifting routine at with squats and deadlifts?

I have never heard of this condition, but a search of the web reveals that unless he wants to have the extensive surgery used to correct this disorder, he needs to deadlift and do back extensions to increase the strength in the thoracic extensors. Use good judgement about the weight and extremely good form, and everything should be fine.

Thanks for the advice, Coach.

For programming, would a simple linear progression before beginning a SS or CF program be the best course of action for him, or do you think it would be safe to start him right into a strength program with extra deadlifts and back extensions added?

SS actually IS is simple linear progression, so I don't know what you're asking. And I wouldn't do extra deadlifts, but rather make sure that the ones that get done are perfect. The back extensions for him would be best done every day, with big emphasis on thoracic extension at the top.