starting strength gym

Thread: Box squatting to learn proper form?

Default Box squatting to learn proper form?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I think box squatting is covered in the new edition of SS, but I've unfortunately got one of the old spiral-bound first editions. Sorry if this question is dealt with in the new one.

One of my biggest squatting problems is sitting down instead of back. This leads to all sorts of other difficulties (e.g. weaker hip drive).

I've thought of helping myself resolve it by using a box. I'm doing the beginner SS routine but have begun doing light squats on the mid-week day (I used to do front squats but I still haven't got my back squat form down, so I took them out). Would there be any harm in subbing light box squats for regular light squats? I figure they might help me with form. I'm not trying to do anything fancy, just learn to sit back properly, stay tight and use hip drive better. One day a week isn't that much, anyway.

I know it irritates you when people change your programs, but I figure this is a pretty minor change, and implemented for the sake of learning proper form.

Am I thinking clearly here, or am I just as bad as the people asking about bicep curls?

Learning proper form takes one or two coached workouts, not a change in exercises or programming. Figure out how to squat correctly, and then do it that way; don't change to an assistance exercise instead of fixing the primary exercise.

I have a couple of hardheaded trainees who consistently "forget" to sit back when they squat and in doing so they often start their ascent before reaching full depth. Because I got tired of reiterating the same points before each and every set I strung up some light rubber tubing across the legs of the power rack about twelve inches off the ground (the height will vary depending on the lifter). Just sit back and down until your ass hits the tubing. The tubing serves the same point as a box might but you aren't eliminating the stretch reflex like a box does....if you are a competitive PL don't use the bands because you will be screwed up mentally when they are not there in a meet. Most people will not need the tubing if you make a conscious effort to squat right just like Mark said.

Yes, a trick like this can be useful if it is discontinued when its power to teach becomes regarded as an aid. Using it from now on just postpones actually learning the correct movement.