starting strength gym

Thread: wife squat

Default wife squat

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Dear coach, i was hoping you,or any of the girls on tnis forum could help me with this query. My wife has had a baby three months ago, and is looking to get back into the gym. Couple of questions here: 1) this is the second child she's had in three years, and her abdomen is quite stretched- she is deathly scared the constant valsalva maneuvers required to squat might leave her with a long term distended belly 2) considering she is looking to lose weight- does it make sense for her to up the reps to eight per set? She eats primarily paleo. Many thanks-i appreciate the time.

When you utilize the valsalva in a squat, deadlift press, etc., in what position are the abs? Stretched out or contracted? How many calories do the extra 3 reps burn?

The next person who calls their thread "wife squat" and does not post video of himself (or herself, depending on jurisdiction) actually squatting his wife will be killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Simma Park View Post
    The next person who calls their thread "wife squat" and does not post video of himself (or herself, depending on jurisdiction) actually squatting his wife will be killed.
    I was waiting for someone to pick that up. The title gave me a little bit of a giggle. Coach rip, thank you for your time. I appreciate you replying. Have a good weekend, you lot.

I've squatted my wife to to parallel for reps and will make a video. Shes almost 6 months pregnant so I can't drop her. Actually this might not happen at all for awhile.

The number of calories burned during the muscle contraction of the squat is rather small, and I would dare say insignificant when it comes to lose fat at 3,500 cal/pound. What burns an ungodly amount of calories is working as close to your 90% rep max, which prompts your body to adapt and rebuild itself 3 times a week.

This is where it gets funny; females have an easier time working closer to their maximum. To make some numbers up, if a male 1 rep max is 100 pounds, their 5 rep max could be around 86 pounds, 8 rep max around 78. A female with a 1 rep max of 100 pounds could probably have a 8 rep max that matches the guy’s 5 rep max. Why, I don’t know, that’s just how nature made it work out.

Early on it probably will not matter that much and will give her extra reps to practice form. Once it gets heavy she will be happy that all it takes to complete a set is 5. For starting strength she is better off focusing her efforts working as heavy as she can, which will make her stronger the fastest, and burn the most calories.

The next person who calls their thread "wife squat" and does not post video of his wife squatting over him will be killed.
    Fixed - for my jurisdiction.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm a woman who has had two kids so I will have a go at this. First, the only reason she would have a permanently distended belly is if she has a diastis recti (separation of the abdominals). There are ways for her to check this, she only needs to google it. I have had one that has gone from 3-4 fingers wide down to barely one finger wide from only powerlifting 2 years postpartum (not from surgery or doing abdominal exercises). So, I would say that the valsalva maneuver will not cause her to have a distended belly, quite the opposite actually. She shouldn't sit straight up though. She should always roll to her side (in bed for instance) and sit up that way.

As far as weight loss, that will happen when it happens. Postpartum weight loss is driven by hormones. I once lost 10 pounds in a month after our second baby, and I didn't diet or exercise at all. She is only 3 months post-partum, so she should just relax about weight loss, especially if she is nursing. Eating low carb can have a dramatic effect on milk supply, so she should not, in my opinion, be eating paleo while nursing.