starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: We are up on Fitocracy.

Default We are up on Fitocracy.

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    http://www.fitocracy.com/knowledge/o...for-fitocrats/

Thanks to Wolf for doing the work on this project.

Nice work Wolf. Cool photos of the Costa Mesa seminar last year too.

That's great!.....Now if someone could explain the concept of Fitocracy to me? I just read the front page and I am not quite getting it. Something about combining a log with video games?

"There are only six exercises in the program. Adding weight to the bar and progressing on these six exercises will do more for your training than anything else, during your first months. Don’t spoil the recipe by adding extra ingredients. "

I don't think this can be emphasized enough. I see a lot of people on the forum asking about accessory work far too early.

Quote Originally Posted by rumblefish View Post
    That's great!.....Now if someone could explain the concept of Fitocracy to me? I just read the front page and I am not quite getting it. Something about combining a log with video games?
    Fitocracy is an online workout-logging tool and a social network for fitness. When you log your workouts, it assigns you points in varying amounts for the exercises you log, and after accumulating certain amounts, you "level up," in a vague gesture towards role playing games.

It can be sort of neat to follow other people's training, and if you're trying to market yourself as a fitness professional it can be a good way to reach people. But logging is a pain in the ass compared to using paper and pen, the point system is arbitrary and stupid, and the site is riddled with fake workouts and silly bullshit. IMO it's mostly a waste of time for the average trainee with their own goals and half a clue about what they're doing, but it's gotten pretty popular.

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigVan View Post
    Fitocracy is an online workout-logging tool and a social network for fitness. When you log your workouts, it assigns you points in varying amounts for the exercises you log, and after accumulating certain amounts, you "level up," in a vague gesture towards role playing games.

It can be sort of neat to follow other people's training, and if you're trying to market yourself as a fitness professional it can be a good way to reach people. But logging is a pain in the ass compared to using paper and pen, the point system is arbitrary and stupid, and the site is riddled with fake workouts and silly bullshit. IMO it's mostly a waste of time for the average trainee with their own goals and half a clue about what they're doing, but it's gotten pretty popular.
    Thanks,

That's kind of what I figured.

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigVan View Post
    IMO it's mostly a waste of time for the average trainee with their own goals and half a clue about what they're doing, but it's gotten pretty popular.
    Since most of the exercising population does not have half a clue about what they're doing, we hope that this will help give a nudge in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Since most of the exercising population does not have half a clue about what they're doing, we hope that this will help give a nudge in the right direction.
    As someone that has been part of the fitocracy community since the early beta stages, i can guarantee you that will, sadly, never be the case.

Fitocracy is a place where no one is allowed to really disagree with others, and you will get called by moderators and be thrown out if you are not helping others drink the "everything i do is the best thing for myself" kool-aid.

It is real sad that a place that had such potential, and used to hold lifting in high esteem, has become a worse version of BB.com or LIVESTRONG.com ...

I think more exposure is better. The people on Fitocracy that actually want to better themselves will find the links to this site.

starting strength coach development program
    iamgmo
    I dunno if it as bad as all that. The point system, while a very silly game, does tend to reward heavy compound lifts (and, amusingly, squats on the bosu ball gives negative points). I think that making it into a social game has introduced a good number of people to effective strength training.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast