starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setting goals?

Default Setting goals?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    How do YOU do it? Is it reasonable or should I just play it as it lays? As I mentioned, I've never been and am not 'strong' but if I can add 5 pounds a week to the dead and squat and 2.5 a week to the bench I'll be extremely pleased next 4th of July. Possible as an aged noob?
    Last edited by Joe Murphy; 06-30-2012 at 09:42 PM. Reason: typo

It would help if you added some information like height, weight, and current lifts. Also how long you've been doing SS and the poundages you started with compared to where you are now. Unless you are near the beginning of the process and have only gained a little strength already though, 5 lbs. and 2.5 lbs. a week might be a little ambitious for even a growing teen over the course of an entire 12 months.

I have come to the conclusion that setting goals is probably counterproductive.

When I started weight training at 41, 9 years ago I would not, in my wildest dreams, have imagined how strong I would be at 50. I surpassed the modest goals, which I then imagined were fairly lofty, in 6 months.

Just show up and train, add weight to the bar regularly, try not to injure yourself and never be satisfied with where you are. You'll be surprised at how far you can go.

Can you get strong "as an aged noob"? Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by hbriem View Post
    I have come to the conclusion that setting goals is probably counterproductive.

When I started weight training at 41, 9 years ago I would not, in my wildest dreams, have imagined how strong I would be at 50. I surpassed the modest goals, which I then imagined were fairly lofty, in 6 months.

Just show up and train, add weight to the bar regularly, try not to injure yourself and never be satisfied with where you are. You'll be surprised at how far you can go.
    Joe, I go along with hbriem on this. You will be surprised by your results. So, as Mark mentioned, don't focus too narrowly on the rate of change. Do what you can to dial in your nutrition and your rest/recovery/sleep and you will be able to add weight to the bar in a regular fashion for a long, long time.

-Bob, 55 and still getting stronger

Quote Originally Posted by hbriem View Post
    Golden words. Perhaps the most useful two sentences I have read on this forum.
    If I was to add anything, it would be - focus on enjoying the journey, that's key to showing up for every session with the right attitude.

Thanks, guys. I like the idea of just adding weight every trip to the gym. I'm not in a rush but that said I do have certain strength goals figuring out a loose approximation of when I can get there is part of the fun for me. To answer Mark's questions, I'm 6'. Hit the gym 3 months ago when I'd dropped to 175lbs. Goofed around with old stuff for several weeks before finding SS and ordering the book. I've limped my way up to the following: Squat, 190, 3x5. Bench, 140,3x5. Dead 210, 1x5. As mentioned in another post, I'm not really doing SS--I'm trying to modify it for me with the goal of growing the 3 lifts. I really think I've stumbled upon a good program to start making gains. Remember, I'm talking about adding the 2.5 to the bench and the 5 to the squat and dead each week, not each workout--I will micro-load during the week once I can't add the 2.5/5. We'll see--- even if I fall back to 1.25/2.5 each week I like the looks of the totals 12 months hence. (I got some Ivanko 1.25 plates the other day.)

My body weight is up to 185 and at a little more fat than I'd want-- at least it's not been sunny enough in Seattle to spend any time on the lake. If it were fall/winter I might experiment with something like GOMAD...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Murphy View Post
    Thanks, guys. I like the idea of just adding weight every trip to the gym. I'm not in a rush but that said I do have certain strength goals figuring out a loose approximation of when I can get there is part of the fun for me. To answer Mark's questions, I'm 6'. Hit the gym 3 months ago when I'd dropped to 175lbs. Goofed around with old stuff for several weeks before finding SS and ordering the book. I've limped my way up to the following: Squat, 190, 3x5. Bench, 140,3x5. Dead 210, 1x5. As mentioned in another post, I'm not really doing SS--I'm trying to modify it for me with the goal of growing the 3 lifts. I really think I've stumbled upon a good program to start making gains. Remember, I'm talking about adding the 2.5 to the bench and the 5 to the squat and dead each week, not each workout--I will micro-load during the week once I can't add the 2.5/5. We'll see--- even if I fall back to 1.25/2.5 each week I like the looks of the totals 12 months hence. (I got some Ivanko 1.25 plates the other day.)

My body weight is up to 185 and at a little more fat than I'd want-- at least it's not been sunny enough in Seattle to spend any time on the lake. If it were fall/winter I might experiment with something like GOMAD...
    You are going after this the right way, Joe. Having goals for a year from now plus learning about programming and what works for you will get you to those goals. Take a look at Kumar's posts to see a great approach utilizing specific waypoints, end goals and a fantastic attitude. Sullydog's Big Medicine posts and training log are must reading. Hbriem has a great deal of experience on the power lifting side of things. Oldster is an ox and a great helper to anyone who asks about anything. MEH has transformed a lifetime of training and MA into a program that is working for him at his advanced decrepitude. Gene61 is surfing and riding his bike stronger than ever. The list of successes goes on and I apologize if I am forgetting other old farts who are kicking ass. Buckle up and enjoy the ride.

Joe,

Your primary goals should be
    1.) do not overtrain
    2.) do not get (really) injured

All else will happen as it should if you do as above.

Sincerely,

Mike: 55, frequently overtrained, usually hurt, sometimes needing a cane to walk, sometimes deadlifting 500+.

I'll say this--the coolest thing about novice magic and linear progression in my 50s is every workout becomes a PR session. In my intro post I mentioned I'd goofed around with weights but I honestly can't remember EVER doing serious squats in my life. I know I have done some deadlifts, but they were lighter, goofier shit. I certainly could have, at one point had I been slightly trained, squatted and deadlifted more than I do now (you don't walk/run around with a radio operator's ruck on your back for three years without growing some serious thighs and ass) but I didn't. However, it'll be another few months before I break my best bench which I set years ago and was stupid light--which is why I remember it so clearly. I'm eating somewhat better and am still growing the lifts, still looking forward to the workouts and sorta hating the off days. Well, hating the off days a lot because I feel like I have a lot more love to give....

starting strength coach development program
    I use competitions as goals. That way my lifting stays focused on that. I do Highland Games and set throwing distances I am aiming for. For example if I want to get 13 feet in Weight Over Bar I better be doing alot of heavy Deads and Snatches. If I want to throw a PR in the Braemar (standing) stone throw then I better be cranking up the Push Presses. So my lifting weights aren't the goals themselves but a means to achieve them.

That said, right now I am trying to get the qualifying total for the Pan-Am Masters meet in weightlifting (Olympic lifting). although that is a weight related goal it still makes things like squats, DL's, presses a means to the end, and not the end themselves.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast