starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bar thickness

Default Bar thickness

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Just interested in what people think of bar thickness.

The first 7 foot bar I bought was around 28mm, the same as I was using at at the gym. But this one weighed 16kg and had plastic bushes. So I returned it asking for a 20kg bar. The bar I got weighed 20.6kg but was 33.4mm thick. (I have a set of vernier calipers) but had needle bearings.

At the same time I bought another 7 foot bar: 28.7mm at 20.1kg (with needle bearings)

I am using the 33.4mm inside the cage for squats and bench, and the 28.7mm for OHP, deads and cleans/rows.

I moaned and whinged to my wife that I wouldn't like the thicker bar..but after moving from bench (inside the cage with the thicker bar) to rows with the thinner bar I actually didn't notice any difference. - until I actually thought about it.

So do you guys notice any difference in using a thicker bar?

[Also had to attach this evenings work. Got sick of the plates lying on the ground so built some sort of storage thing, lol, running out of money to invest in my home gym =) ]
    New stack.jpg

Personally - I hate the thicker bars. My gym has 5 bars - 4 of them are 32mm, and 1 is 28mm. For squats it doesn't matter. But for Press, Bench or DL - I will wait on the thinner bar. It's probably just psychological, but I feel it does effect my lifts on these 3.

The B&R bar is 29mm and just about every other bar I use is 28mm. I honestly didn't think 1mm would make a difference and on most lifts it doesn't once I got used to it. I can't say I like snatching and cleaning with a thicker bar though. Every once in awhile my hand will slip off in a clean. I just ordered a DHS training bar for the olympic lifts though. I got a decent deal on it as it was used at the US Youth Nationals a few weeks ago.

What kind of bars did you pick up toontm?

I was originally worried about the 29mm diameter of the B&R as well after getting used to 28.4mm, but after realizing that 29mm is the only IPF approved bar diameter it doesn't bother me at all. 32mm+ would definitely be annoying for deadlifting or olympic movements though.

I hate when I have to use 31+ bars. Hate. I don't even like it for squats, though it's do-able. For everything else, including bench, I feel the difference right away and detest it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    I hate when I have to use 31+ bars. Hate. I don't even like it for squats, though it's do-able. For everything else, including bench, I feel the difference right away and detest it.
    This.

My gym has thick bars. And my deadlift positively SUCKS compared to my squat.

The only thing i like those thicker bars for is deadlift warm ups and RDL's so you can get in some grip work. Ive had female clients use them to help that way and its working so far.

I have 2 bars, a York International 30mm and a Rogue Bruiser bar 28.5mm. After testing both, the York I use for squats, presses and bench. The Rogue I can use for all lifts, but especially the deadlift I feel a more secure grip. Like Paul, the thicker bar is good for some grip work. I like for deadlifts off a 100lb plate to work my grip. If I shop again for a new bar it will be the B & R.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    I have pretty big hands, and I actually like the thicker bar for pressing stuff. My fingers wrap around the skinnier bars and it's hard to keep my nails from grinding into my palm even with the bulldog grip.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Rogers View Post
    The B&R bar is 29mm and just about every other bar I use is 28mm. I honestly didn't think 1mm would make a difference and on most lifts it doesn't once I got used to it. I can't say I like snatching and cleaning with a thicker bar though. Every once in awhile my hand will slip off in a clean. I just ordered a DHS training bar for the olympic lifts though. I got a decent deal on it as it was used at the US Youth Nationals a few weeks ago.

What kind of bars did you pick up toontm?
    Made-in-china, lol. They are the cheapest bars I could find, setting up a home gym is damn expensive. But now that I have the basics I'll slowly work away at getting some decent gear. A quality bar is a huge priority. Problem is that I will probably have to import one and the shipping will be what kills me. I wonder if I can get away with putting one on a plane as part of my luggage next time I am in the states, haha.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast