starting strength gym

Thread: Starting Weights and Diet

Default Starting Weights and Diet

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey Mark, I first did your program years ago and gained 30 pounds as I was skinny and wanted to get big. Now it's the opposite and I'm looking to lean out while getting strong.

I had a few questions though in regards to starting weights.I skimmed the book but didn't find anything. And its been a while since I've done it.

1) If I know my 1rms for my lifts, what percentage of that should I start with? I tested squat 185 bench 150 deadlift 200 press 105 power clean-working on form. I tested these before I decided to go on your program.

2) You mention in A clarification that an overweight individual should be able to add weight to the bar and get around 15% bf-obviously this depends on makeup diet and other factors. But this individual would have to be a on a deficit correct? Or is this because of the fact that this is a fat novice who is engaging in activity and eating properly, therefore deficit is not required?

I'm 6 feet tall 190lbs and 20% bf, so my goal is to get strong while losing fat. As you outline in the article. I will worry about abs and what not once this program has stalled but I would like to hit 15% on this program.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The diet section is still under construction!

Also, OP... come on. The past month has covered this in several threads of epic arguments.

Where are you with your training now ? and how old are you ? Unless you're fairly weak and/or sedentary i doubt you'll be able to make significant gains on SS on caloric deficit. So if you're already squatting say... 225 for reps you'll prob either have to cut first and then do SS on a surplus or do SS on a surplus first and then cut later. (unless you're like 20 and/or just have good genes. then it might all work out great regardless)

been sedentary for a year haven't lifted at all. Just tested myself the other day to see where I was at and I hit those numbers. I will go through that link.