starting strength gym

Thread: Programming without Cleans Due to Flat Feet

Default Programming without Cleans Due to Flat Feet

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    BW:225
    *Warning: The #s below are a result of a large reset due to an injury-induced layoff. My SSC reset me. I should be able to run the NLP and get to PB's by early March*
    S:200
    P: 100
    B:135
    DL: 250

I have unbelievably flat feet and finally seem to have found a custom orthotic that (1) actually helps me distribute pressure outside of my "arch" and (2) works with my Romaleos. Nonetheless, whenever I clean I deal with pretty strong knee pain (feels like patellar tendonitis) for days after due to my flat feet. Just spent a week with a SSC and we decided that I may need to avoid cleans, at least for the time being.

What should I be doing on B-days? Squat--Bench--??

He recommended barbell rows, which I am happy to implement, but since I am still very much a novice I'm wondering if I should do something like chins instead. Rows, chins, or something else?

If rows, then is it 1 workset of 5 reps? Or 3 worksets of 5 reps?

Thanks! Feels good to be back.

Name your coach.

I'd probably do what your SSC tells you. What else would you be paying them for?

Chins, when you add them, are in addition to-- not instead of-- the other lifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Name your coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    I'd probably do what your SSC tells you. What else would you be paying them for?

Chins, when you add them, are in addition to-- not instead of-- the other lifts.
    A fair challenge from Satch. Adam Martin, Starting Strength Atlanta. I couldn't speak more highly of him and what he and his wife are doing down here! And you're right, Matt: Go with what coach says! My bad for asking. Thanks for your point about the chins being supplementary rather than primary.