starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem hitting depth on Volume Day only

Default Problem hitting depth on Volume Day only

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey Rip,

Thanks for all the information you provide to those of us looking to lift the heaviest objects possible.

My question is concerning the squat depth on volume day. Just about every set I video seems to be short (I always video the last set), but this not the case on recovery and intensity days. Am I just mentally pussy-ing out or is there some form problem that i'm not aware of? And if the problem isn't form related, do I just video every set and re-do any that aren't satisfactory?

Volume Day 340x5

Recovery Day 225x5

Intensity Day 380x5

Your stance is too wide, but it doesn't seem to be interfering with depth on the 380. If you're not hitting depth with a weight lighter than your using for your heavy workout, it's just plain old pussing out. No one yelling at you, I suppose.

I had depth problems for quite a while before I stopped obsessing about depth. It was all mental for me. I started focusing more on effective rebound coming out of the hole in my squats, and this really turned things around for me. If anything, my depth is too deep now (1-2 inches below parallel), but I'm working on it. I just completed 355x5x5 today, so we're roughly at the same weights.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Your stance is too wide, but it doesn't seem to be interfering with depth on the 380. If you're not hitting depth with a weight lighter than your using for your heavy workout, it's just plain old pussing out. No one yelling at you, I suppose.
    I have read the book, and I've also read about Louie Simmons opinion on a very wide stance. His take is that if you are strong w/ a wide stance, you will be strong with a more narrow stance.

I have hurt my back in the past due to rounding at the bottom, and have found that a stance similar to Tall Texan's, in addition to shoving my knees out helps keep it flat. I think that your argument is that a shoulder width stance has more carry over to sports, and real world applicability of strength.

All that being said, if a wide stance works for individuals w/ long legs or who are inflexible, is it really that bad?

He's bracing his feet against the sides of the rack. Hmmmm, I seem to remember we have talked about this recently...

Quote Originally Posted by macorn63 View Post
    I think that your argument is that a shoulder width stance has more carry over to sports, and real world applicability of strength.

All that being said, if a wide stance works for individuals w/ long legs or who are inflexible, is it really that bad?
    That's not my argument at all. The stance we advocate uses the most muscle mass over the greatest range of motion, allowing you to lift more weight productively, and thus get stronger.

It's hard to see because the plates are in the way, but it really looks like you're losing thoracic extension on the volume day squats. That would explain the depth problem. You feel like you're going lower, but the hips aren't moving.

If it were me, I'd do a reset and get that shit ironed out.

That's not my argument at all. The stance we advocate uses the most muscle mass over the greatest range of motion, allowing you to lift more weight productively, and thus get stronger.

And without bracing your feet against the rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in ATL View Post
    He's bracing his feet against the sides of the rack. Hmmmm, I seem to remember we have talked about this recently...
    My feet are not against the rack

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Tall Texan View Post
    My feet are not against the rack
    After a second (closer) look, I see that I was mistaken. My apologies.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast