starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift help!

Default Deadlift help!

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I've been following SS for about 8 months, and while I've seen good gains, I just don't understand why I'm so bad at deadlifts.

I'm 5'10, 190lbs. My 5rms: squat 350, bench 235, press 145. My deadlift, however, is only about 330. Any more than that and my lower back just rounds like mad. My body shape is pretty bad for deadlifting (short arms, short legs, long torso).

I guess my questions are:
    1) Is my lower back the problem?
    2) If so, how do I go about strengthening it?
    3) Should I start to use a belt so I can better keep my back straight?
    4) should I switch to sumo maybe?
    5) If I add lower back accessory exercises in, would that hinder recovery for deadlifts?

I can post a form check if you think that will help.

It's probably your anthropometry. Your configuration is in fact horrible for deadlifting, and you should have yourself sterilized for the good of the species. After that, try sumo to see if the more vertical back angle suits you better. But you're handling decent weights for a guy training 8 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It's probably your anthropometry. Your configuration is in fact horrible for deadlifting, and you should have yourself sterilized for the good of the species. After that, try sumo to see if the more vertical back angle suits you better. But you're handling decent weights for a guy training 8 months.
    Would you generally recommend a beginner who had poor proportions for conventional deadlifting switch to sumo if they feel it suits them better?

Not until somebody else determines that the anthropometry is actually bad enough to warrant this change. It's not that common.

I'll ask the obvious question: how are your power cleans?

..mf

starting strength coach development program
    I started them later than everything else, but I think I have some issues with them as well. My one rep max is probably around 175-180.