starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lack of hip drive and inability to descend quickly with near maximal weights

Default Lack of hip drive and inability to descend quickly with near maximal weights

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I know I don't fit the mold of most people that post for critique on this site, but the stickies said you are looking for variety, so hopefully its okay. I am a somewhat decent squatter, but these 2 issues have been a huge roadblock and I cant seem to cross.

I am active on many message boards, and no one can address anything in particular that is causing me to do this. Most people can't even tell the difference between what I consider a "good" hip drive video, and what I consider a "bad" hip drive video. I am hoping that since you have a much greater understanding of bio-mechanics than myself or anyone the boards I use, that you will see something that I am overlooking.

Hopefully you see something that I am doing blatantly wrong. All the factors are the same throughout the videos, 175-180 lbs, no injuries, etc.

This is a good video of hip drive

Here is bad drive and bad descent

As you can see, everything goes to crap in the past 2 videos. I tighten up on the descent, and I feel like I can't hit depth even though I feel like I have the strength to do that weight to depth.

Anything that stands out that I could correct to fix my hip drive or descent (I cant even get my body to descent without the doing the shaking I did int he 450 video)? Or is this purely mental or the result of a muscular weakness?

- Just a note. I have become accustomed to socks, and I simply cant squat half decent without them.

You're not really driving through your hips, because your are raising your chest at about halfway up, with an upward eye-gaze direction. Read the book.

I have actually read SS twice (and PP once). I should probably reread SS, because I have forgotten a fair amount.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean about the chest. I have looked about 15 times and I don't know what you're referring to. It looks to me that my back angle is staying fairly constant until I extend my hips, am I looking at the wrong thing?

Wait...

I think I see what you're saying. Are you referring to how my hips move horizontally forward slightly before initiate extension at my hips, and saying that keeping a lower chest angle (aided by eye gaze downward) will help prevent this and enable more drive?

Your last two sets shown were high. Also, weightlifting shoes will help.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You're not really driving through your hips, because your are raising your chest at about halfway up, with an upward eye-gaze direction. Read the book.
    Thanks from me also as I could not spot it as I do similar when heavy, but thought it was me just getting headfcked. Back to the book (now it has arrived) ready for tomorrows squats!

Squat shoes?

Quote Originally Posted by squats View Post
    I have actually read SS twice (and PP once). I should probably reread SS, because I have forgotten a fair amount.
    And there's a new edition.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean about the chest. I have looked about 15 times and I don't know what you're referring to. It looks to me that my back angle is staying fairly constant until I extend my hips, am I looking at the wrong thing?
    In the first video it is apparent. About halfway up you stop driving hips and start lifting the chest. It may be subtle to you, but it screams at me. Look down and get some Big Boy weightlifting shoes.

Thank you for the advice Mr.Ripptoe, and thank you for the input from others here as well.

I will try and focus more on driving through my hips when I am squatting tomorrow. I will make sure to look down too.

I have actually bought both chucks and weightlifting shoes and tried them for many weeks, but I can't seem to squat with them. Maybe I am just being an idiot, but it seems like my squats are a lot better without shoes.

I haven't looked into the 3rd edition, is there a lot of new stuff in it?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by squats View Post

I haven't looked into the 3rd edition, is there a lot of new stuff in it?
    No, Mr Rippetoe just decided to re-release it for shits and giggles

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast