starting strength gym

Thread: Re-knurling an O-bar

Default Re-knurling an O-bar

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    My favourite bar at the gym (the only decent quality O-bar) has had a fair bit of the knurling worn away from years of use.

Can I request that the owners re-knurl the bar? Or should I just request a new one. Bar brand is Eleiko.

You can request anything. I've never heard of re-knurling a bar, but it could be done for enough money. How much money do you have?

Couldn't you just remove the sleeves and put it into an albeit large lathe? Do a couple of tests first to find a nice knurl though.

you realize knurling requires a lathe right? It would be a big pain in the ass, first you have to find a lathe thats long enough for the whole damn bar, shave off the diameter of the whole shaft to make it even and bare all the away around(you just can't re-knurl on the old knurl)and re-knurl the bar. A lot of work

Yeah, a new bar is cheaper. But you can always just ask the owner to get it re-knurled. He's got lots of money.

Quote Originally Posted by MattJ.D. View Post
    you realize knurling requires a lathe right? It would be a big pain in the ass, first you have to find a lathe thats long enough for the whole damn bar, shave off the diameter of the whole shaft to make it even and bare all the away around(you just can't re-knurl on the old knurl)and re-knurl the bar. A lot of work
    Actually, the lathe would only need to be long enough to fit about half of the bar along the slideways or even less if you don't want the middle portion re-knurled as the bar shaft can go through the lathe spindle. Then you just have to find the right sized knurling tool and line it up right.

Having said that, I've never renewed a worn out knurl but I have finished off a knurl that's only been half applied... And as far as I'm concerned, judging by the eleiko bar and every other bar in my gym, a fully formed knurl is very rare.

Just ring up a local machine shop and ask them how much it would cost to get a bit of solid round bar re-knurled.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Yeah, a new bar is cheaper. But you can always just ask the owner to get it re-knurled. He's got lots of money.
    I work in manufacturing and people never cease to amaze me at how clueless they are about how things are made.

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJones View Post
    I work in manufacturing and people never cease to amaze me at how clueless they are about how things are made.
    Everyone cannot know everything, how many people understand the nuances of how our computers and smartphones work?

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJones View Post
    yeah it's like when i worked as a graphic designer and my clients were clueless about graphic design. amazing. if only they knew what i knew, then they wouldn't have to call me, and i wouldn't have to go to work, that would be fun.

starting strength coach development program
    Figured a new one was probably the go. I'm aware knurling is performed on a lathe, I've done some myself. I'm just not familiar with how big or specialized they got in the fabrication industry. Thanks for the info.