starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts on Elbow Sleeves?

Default Your thoughts on Elbow Sleeves?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Coach,

What's your thought on using Elbow Sleeves to ease tendinitis (the Golfer's Elbow variety) during squats and presses?

I've developed a pretty good case of tendinitis from an improper squat grip, which I now know thanks to your 25 min video on Squat Grip. Thanks for that! But it seems the damage has been done and despite generous doses of ibuprofen, squats and presses seem to reaggrevate it.

(...and if you have found them beneficial, do you have a particular brand you'd recommend?)

Thanks,
    Gene

I can't wear knee or elbow sleeves, so I can't comment personally.

I have found that the Rehband knee sleeves are good for keeping your knees warm. Our gym is pretty cold in winter. I tried a pair of elbow sleeves not so long ago and found that sizing was an issue. They either cut off circulation (probably due to my naturally overdeveloped arm muscles - I share Rip's problem with those) or were too loose to be any use. The tighter, heavyer duty sleeves also give a little carryover to the lifts and are are not allowed in some federations, so be sure to check if you are competing.

If squatting is aggravating it, you still might have form issues. Get an angry man hating lesbian physiotherapist to attack your elbows. Not "massage", I mean a proper eye watering beating, and see how that works out. It has helped me in the past.

Elbow sleeves, like knee sleeves, help keep the joint warm. I use an elbow sleeve on one arm and found it help with the elbow joint pain. I don't think you need to spend too much on an elbow sleeve. I use an Ace brand sleeve and sometimes a more expensive brand I had also purchased. I find no significant difference. However, proper squat grip, and maybe a little rest or lighter weight in the presses for a few weeks may also aid in the healing. Elbow tendonitis takes a while to heal completely.

I like the elbow sleeves made by Mueller. They are fairly inexpensive and provide good compression with limited loss of mobility. In my experience, they do help with tendonitis pain.

Gear that helps protect you from injury is good. Keeping joints warm are helping the connective tissue warm up (especially as you get older) is priceless. Sleeves (knee or elbow) and loose squat briefs are all good things for day-to-day joint health. After proper technique of course.

Where can I find the video on squat grip? Just started having some elbow issues, and don't to end up in the OPs position with a chronic issue. Thanks.

You might check the "videos" section of the "resources" department.

One comment: If your elbow tendinitis is of the type produced by the squat, an excessively thick sleeve balled up between forearm and bicep will make the problem worse.

Thanks everybody for the feedback. I think I'll pick up a Mueller sleeve as strong_over_matter suggested. It looks to be on the thinner side compared to others I've seen, so hopefully it will provide the compression needed without being too thick and causing the issue Coach Rip pointed out.

If squatting is aggravating it, you still might have form issues. Get an angry man hating lesbian physiotherapist to attack your elbows. Not "massage", I mean a proper eye watering beating, and see how that works out. It has helped me in the past.
    I don't have access to an angry man hating lesbian physio, but maybe I can draw an angry face on the lacrosse ball I use for trigger points. Seriously though, I need to get a video up for a form check to make sure I'm not missing anything technique wise.

Thanks again,
    Gene

starting strength coach development program
    I'm also a big fan of the Mueller sleeves. I wear them during and after lifting, and it seems to make it much harder to re-aggravate my tendonitis.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast