starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat + Deadlift Check

Default Squat + Deadlift Check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    wrote to you a few days ago about right-shoulder pain (on the back side of the joint) from sqatting. last week the pain went away and today it reemerged in the left shoulder
    Pain showed up on 1st set, worsened on 2nd set, and on the 3rd I felt a lot less pain - I think the reason is on the 1st and 2nd set I got under the bar and repositioned myself because it looked like I was too far left on the bar (using the knurling as a guide there was more knurling touching my left shoulder than right shoulder from what I could see) but on the 3rd set I just got under how it felt natural and it felt better.

Can you please form-check my squats and let me know if there is anything I could improve on?

Some other lifters have suggested I switch to high-bar, I've been reluctant because I know you specifically recommend low-bar for good reasons and I want to follow your instructions. What is your take?

I also probably suck a lot at DLs, I am trying my hardest to keep my back tight but think there is some rounding going on.

Thanks so much, Mr. Rippetoe.

I see nothing about these squats that would hurt your shoulder. If you can't make the grip work for your shoulders, you'll have to switch to high-bar. Your deadlifts are being done as 5 singles instead of a set of 5, but your back is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I see nothing about these squats that would hurt your shoulder. If you can't make the grip work for your shoulders, you'll have to switch to high-bar.
    Is there instructions for high-bar squats with 'Rippetoe Seal of Approval' tagged to them somewhere?

Part of the problem is deadlifting with those flat sided plates. OP, you don't have to goof around quite as much in between reps, but with those plates you may need to adjust your stance after the bar either rolls away from you or crashes painfully into your shins... should only take a second. Or, use round plates if you can get them.

I just checked out a new $27 million, 110,000 square foot gym. I couldn't make myself sign up because of the stupid plates. Could they make 64 square feet and buy a few bumpers for doing Oly Work? Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by BarbellSissy View Post
    Is there instructions for high-bar squats with 'Rippetoe Seal of Approval' tagged to them somewhere?
    No.

today pain hits on the 3rd rep of the first set at 235lbs. weight was fairly easy to get up and every rep before (including warmups) felt fine and no pain at all. 3rd rep it was pretty painful and it pretty much killed the rest of the session.

I really don't like my shoulder turning me into a pussy - is there anything you can think of? anything i can do to not have to switch to high-bar?

I have been rolling (foam roller/lacrosse ball) and doing shoulder dislocations practically every day.

Let me be more clear: I CAN'T SEE ANYTHING WRONG IN THESE VIDEOS. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH YOUR POSITION. IF I WAS THERE, I MIGHT BE ABLE TO FIGURE IT OUT. BUT I'M NOT THERE.

OP, it may not actually be the squats causing this. The squats may just be alerting you to an underlying problem.

I had terrible shoulder pain for months when squatting, which distressed me, because I'd enjoyed perfect shoulder health for my entire life. And only squatting produced it. I checked, double-checked, and triple checked my bar placement, tried all kinds of adjustments, etc.

It turns out my shoulder was fucked up from sitting at my computer. I was leaning on my non-dominant elbow while I was using the mouse (which I do for hours at a stretch sometimes, as I do design work). But the injury was only apparent while squatting.

Weird, repetitive stuff outside the weight room is often responsible for these kinds of things, but we don't pick up on them as a potential cause. Because the squats are hard, and squatting is when it hurts, and squatting is when we're especially attuned to any aches, pains, or deviations from normal sensations, we assume it must be the squats.

But it might not be. Expand your inquiries to other aspects of your life to see whether something else could be responsible.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoWayno View Post
    Part of the problem is deadlifting with those flat sided plates. OP, you don't have to goof around quite as much in between reps, but with those plates you may need to adjust your stance after the bar either rolls away from you or crashes painfully into your shins... should only take a second. Or, use round plates if you can get them.

I just checked out a new $27 million, 110,000 square foot gym. I couldn't make myself sign up because of the stupid plates. Could they make 64 square feet and buy a few bumpers for doing Oly Work? Nope.
    My gym has those damn plates, tweaked my back once when was lowering them to the floor because the bar lurched when the flat sided plates touched the floor. Since then, on deadlift day, I drive to one of their other locations, where they have round plates. It's twice as far from my house but it's worth it to avoid those plates.

starting strength coach development program
    yeah, I get that. I was hoping you might have some recommendations like do x,y,z accessory work, go see a chrio/therapist who specializes in some specific shoulder voodoo or if you knew of any trainers/coaches in my area (hollywood, fl) who you know to be qualified enough to check my lifts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast