My stats:
    Height: 5’10”
    Weight: 205 lbs
    Squat: 415x3
    Deadlift (MIXED GRIP): 395x2
    Bench: 295x1
    Barbell Row: 245x3
    Press: 175x3

A quick background: I used the “Squats and Milk” (which felt like a waste of time) routine I achieved 335x20 for the squat. Then I used the Texas method and got up to 415x3.

I’m military and I’ll be working in the field a lot. Although I like the bodybuilder look bullets don't give a $hit what you look like, so neither do I. I used the Texas method for 2 cycles (by that I mean I stalled out on 2 or more lifts), then I pulled a hamstring while playing soccer with my unit (its healed now). My first two Cycles I used barbell rows on Mondays and Fridays. I don't give a damn about benching a butt load or squatting much more than 400 either (although it *is my favorite lift). I'm mostly interested in getting my deadlift and grip strength up (although squats *do help drive deadlift numbers up).

Currently I’m on my 3rd cycle of the Texas Method (as written) although I added an "Event Specific Day" on Saturdays. I do Prowler Pushes, Heavy Carries, Crucifixes and Pull Ups. I’d *like to work up to 25lb plate pinches.

I really want to focus on being able to pick heavy $hit up and carry it fast. I’m not afraid of working out more than 3 days a week.

Is there any deadlift specific recommendations you have for me?
    How would you incorporate rows properly?
    Also, aside from eating more and sleeping more, are there other ways to program around all of the extra running to ensure I keep making progress?

Long Term Goals:
    Deadlift (DOUBLE OVERHAND GRIP): really friggn heavy
    Squat: 400x10
    Bench: 300x10
    Press: 200x10
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 03-17-2012 at 05:23 PM. Reason: spelling

What is currently limiting your deadlift? How are you failing when you miss a rep? Grip? What do you think rows have added to this program?

That is correct, the limiting factor is grip. I usually have to start using mixed grip/chalk around 315lbs. I've been using Pendlay's version of the row to 'rip' the bar from the ground (mostly explosive work of strictly the lats - although it could be argued I'm using glutes and erectors to stabilize).

I was recommended to do plate pinches for time - haven't incorporated them yet

"Pendlay's version" of the barbell row is just the plain old barbell row, the way I showed him in 2002, and the way the exercise is described in BBT, both 2nd and 3rd editions. Have you read them? It does not replace the clean, which you seem to have omitted from your program.

Now, I am not a grip strength expert. But I do know that it is easy to overtrain your grip, and a tired grip will feel like a weak grip on a heavy deadlift. Stop doing rows, start doing cleans with a hook grip, and maybe you'll find that your grip is actually okay for your present level of strength. Then, as deadlift goes up, grip gets stronger.

Will do, in the spreadsheet I'm putting together right now I am performing TM as written (including Cleans and only 3 sets of hypers - five sets leaves me too tight for events).

Each time I reset I start 20 pounds lighter than my sticking point and build back up in 5 pound increments/per week. Lately sticking points have been occurring within the first three weeks of the program.

I read up on Clusters and Isometrics/Isometronics. Any thoughts on incorporating those? (Chain/bands, boards/boxes sound like fun) Or just keep resetting at each stall?

Thank you for the tips - I'm sure I've just been over thinking everything

How often are you stalling?

On the Monday volume session about the third week. It's at 370/375 that I have difficulty maintaining form for all 5 sets. I made this week's 5x5@370 but bar speed reduced significantly. The last few reps of sets 4&5 were pretty sketchy but I at least went below parallel

So you've tried TM three times in series, and each time gotten stuck the third week. You are doing the program wrong. Ask Andy Baker in the Programming forum to look at this for you.

Sort of; by that I mean the first run through I got stuck at week 8, the second I got to week 3 and pulled a hamstring, the third I got stuck at week 3 and repeated the weight for two weeks, tried increasing in week 5 and had to go back down to week 3's weight in week 6. I'm in week 7 and hopefully I'll make 375.

I'll give him a look.

starting strength coach development program
    I got in touch with Mr. Baker, he recommended changing the volume day for squats to 10x2 - I will have to attempt that next week (I missed reps past set 3 on squats @375 yesterday).

I just got Practical Programming in the mail yesterday. I read up through Chapter 7. A minor re-evaluation of my goals:
    -I still want to focus on quality hypertrophy (like a lineman, in my line of work a bit more mass will be very useful)
    -In a combative role Power training will be helpful
    -In general strength training is paramount
    -Primary movements: Deadlift, Squatting, Pushing/striking and Pulling/climbing

In the Intermediate (ch7) section it mentioned a four day split which sounds ideal (pressing/squatting/pressing/squatting). However, I'd like to utilize your Heavy-to-Recovery-to-PR progression throughout the week so I don't have to worry so much about deloading.

How can I customize an Intermediate program to emphasize full body hypertrophy, squatting and deadlifting strength and pressing/pulling power?

My initial idea was to keep the Texas Method template for the squat, deadlift and powerclean. I just am unsure how to incorporate the rep ranges of 8-10 and still allow enough recovery for the 1-5 ranges as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast