starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi coaches

I am 59 and just gone through the linear progression from the books over a few months. I started videoing my lifts and I am now worried that I am not getting depth on the squat. I have widened my stance and opened the angle of my feet a bit more and it looks better but still not sure I am getting there. If not can you suggest what I should do? I am pushing my knees out and feel I can't go any lower.

I am squatting 107.5 kg here.

YouTube

Thanks

Al

Welcome, Al. You are correct. Those squats are fairly high for the most part. You might need to take a few kilos off the bar and work on getting deeper. Your knees can go slightly further forward, which will help with balance. If I were coaching you, I would probably use a box to get you to the correct depth. Once you are there and convinced you can stay in balance, we would remove the box. I am also not convinced about the safeties on your rack. The don't stick out very far and are probably too low. If you could not stand up, I am unconvinced your safeties would be there to help you out.

Thanks Tom. I will will try the box idea and also see if my knees will go slightly further forward. I have poor ankle flexibility due to an old injury but will give it a try. You are right- I hadn't moved my safties since I bench pressed! I wasn't going to miss the weight though ....

Folowing your advice and my previous post, here us a set of 5 at 90kg which is about 20% below my previous working weight on my light day. I am using a box as my depth gauge and I think the depth looks better now?
    YouTube

Those are pretty damn good squats, Al. Lose that mirror in front of you and look down just a touch and all will be bliss. Very nice work.

Thanks for your help Tom, I really appreciate it

starting strength coach development program
    You are welcome.