starting strength gym

Thread: squat TO box, reducing lowbar squat ROM

Default squat TO box, reducing lowbar squat ROM

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Disclaimer: I am not a smart man.

I've been getting recurrent left knee pain on TM intensity topsets and narrowed down the cause to an imbalance in ankle dorsiflexion through the half-kneeling dorsiflexion test, and balancing a loaded barbell cross my knees at the bottom of a squat, noticing the barbell sits higher on the left knee. I've been doing unilateral mobility work before squats to increase ROM on left ankle to match the right. It's working in that regard, barbell across knees rest parallel to the floor, the pain is mostly gone, but now during intensity topsets I started sinking way lower than my typical parallel since my shit left knee was limiting depth taking more load prior.

For the last couple ID days, I've been squatting TO a dumbbell setup just below parallel while trying to get dial in depth on volume days and Hepburn days (I alternate a week of Hepburn with a week of TM). I'm wondering if that's completely retarded, if I should just reset ID day. The program has been making pretty steady gains for the past 4 months.

You are wondering if squatting to a dumbbell is retarded? Possibly, since that's not what they're for. I'd have to see it.

Why not use a box instead of a dumbbell?

If you can't find a box you can stack some plates. Find something that won't fall over when you touch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...OTLk-2OOc#t=37 (~37s)

Stumbled on this video, exactly what I'm describing but with dumbbell. No box at commercial gym. The dumbbell is just there to limit depth (still below parallel), I just tap it with my bum and go back up like a normal squat. Otherwise right leg would sink slightly lower than left. During 5RM topsets, my right knee and body would start torquing in after the 2rd or 3rd reps to power through the extra ROM. This started happening at 360x5@175, I'm at 380x5 now and have been squatting to dumbbell/box for the last couple 5lb jumps. Squats feel cleaner, but also slightly easier.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyid View Post
    Stumbled on this video, exactly what I'm describing but with dumbbell. No box at commercial gym. The dumbbell is just there to limit depth (still below parallel), I just tap it with my bum and go back up like a normal squat. Otherwise right leg would sink slightly lower than left. During 5RM topsets, my right knee and body would start torquing in after the 2rd or 3rd reps to power through the extra ROM. This started happening at 360x5@175, I'm at 380x5 now and have been squatting to dumbbell/box for the last couple 5lb jumps. Squats feel cleaner, but also slightly easier.
    You are tapping a dumbbell with your asymmetrical ass? Are you as high above parallel as this guy? I cannot comment on your asymmetry without seeing it, but I see no benefit to a depth-cued squat, mas I've mentioned before.