starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Appropriate dimensions (esp. width) for flat bench, to use for bench presses...

Default Appropriate dimensions (esp. width) for flat bench, to use for bench presses...

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Coach Rip,

Hi. Just bought a power-rack (specs are nothing like as shown on the SS site - but, I am doing with what best I can, at the moment)... Need to now buy a flat bench to use for bench presses, (inside the power rack).

Not sure about the dimensions for pre-made benches - so, I am probably going to have to get one custom made.

17" height (from the ground, to the top of the padded surface, when the surface is UNCOMPRESSED), seems to be right (per SSBBT3 too).

Length 48"

Not sure about what would be an appropriate width - the ones available online are almost always 9", which seems to be too small.

Would 12" be an appropriate width, for the flat bench (pre-made ones seem to be no more than 9" to 10" in width usually).

Thanks very much...

The dimensions for the IPF in inches are 17 x 48 x 12.

Rogue Flat Bench is your best bet. It's a hair higher (17.5") but it's under $200 and is 12" wide.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The dimensions for the IPF in inches are 17 x 48 x 12.
    Thanks Coach.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamW View Post
    Rogue Flat Bench is your best bet. It's a hair higher (17.5") but it's under $200 and is 12" wide.
    Thanks AdamW. I am presently in India...so, will likely need to get this custom-made. Did approach one of the fabricators here asking for 12" width...he asked if this increased width (from the usual 9-10") would hinder elbow movement during bench presses - I didn't think so...and in fact, have come across discussions, that the lesser width (9-10") does actually cause reduction in max weights bench pressed.

Glad to confirm here that 12" is ok.

-------------

Well, if I can request suggestion on another issue, related to the power rack.

As mentioned earlier, this is NOT the best power rack there is, but I am able to use it ok, at the moment. One of the issues is that holes provided for the safeties are about 3" apart. This might be a factor when I do start bench pressing. I am thinking to use chains (slightly lengthier than the safeties) and to adjust chain length, according to required catch position for bench pressing.

Will this work?

Thanks...

3-inch pin spacing is usually sufficient for benching purposes.

I might be completely wrong, but it seems like you'd want a bench whose surface isn't very compressible. For many of the same reasons you don't squat in on a matress.

The pad usually doesn't collapse much. I started out benching on wood, and it was perfectly comfortable. Benches with excessive padding should be either avoided or reupholstered.

The IPF actually allows for a bit of leeway in competition benches, though the standard measurements are the ones listed by Rip above: 17" H x 48" L x 12" W

Here are the specifications directly from the IPF Rulebook:
    Length: 1.22m
    Width: 29-32cm
    Height: 42-45cm

While the quality isn't great, this picture gives you all the information you need in an easy to understand way:

Quote Originally Posted by Srini B View Post
    Thanks AdamW. I am presently in India...so, will likely need to get this custom-made. ...
    If you're getting a bench custom made, my advice is to be careful what you choose for the upholstery. You don't want a material that is too slick. This can keep you from really planting your upper back into the bench. Or at least that's my experience. I hate going to some gym somewhere that has benches with that shiny, slick, un-textured vinyl on the bench. I just can't get set. If I were building a bench for myself, I would use some kind of cloth.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    If I were building a bench for myself, I would use some kind of cloth.
    That's an excellent idea!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast