starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speedy GonzaleSS

Default Speedy GonzaleSS

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I've been doing a fair bit of internet searching trying to find the right type of training for someone who is interested in starting up boxing. I thought that SS would be great for boxing but I've found a huge amount of keyboard fanatics preaching that strength training and weights in general will slow you down and shouldn't be used for boxing.

Is there truth in the whole 'strength training will slow you down' motto that so many of these people have taken up chanting?

There is a guy around here, TheTonyT, who is a fighter but not a boxer though. He is quite strong. Talk to him!
    Here's the link to his log:
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=19024

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    There is a guy around here, TheTonyT, who is a fighter but not a boxer though. He is quite strong. Talk to him!
    Here's the link to his log:
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=19024
    Cheers Carlos I'll definately hit him up for some advice.

Aren't most boxers like really ripped and muscular? Do they get that way from boxing alone? Steroids?

Quote Originally Posted by shaddix View Post
    Aren't most boxers like really ripped and muscular? Do they get that way from boxing alone? Steroids?
    Yeah minimal body fat, which is heavily nutrition based. Don't know about steriods, they're illegal in the sport but I guess that doesn't stop people. Boxing alone doesn't give you muscles but it helps

I'm going for the light heavyweight class which is between 168lbs to 175lbs & I'm going to use SS as a strength base. If I find speed or recovery failing I'll look for something else or maybe use different programming. I'll start a training log when everything is in full swing.

I'm not a boxer, but I just can't imagine getting stronger to be a detriment for a guy just starting out. Sure the greats of boxing probably don't need to do heavy deads, but some guy going from couch to ring needs a strength base.
    I'd HIGHLY recommend transitioning to an oly-style program when linear progression slows down - the oly lifts are ALL about high power generated from the hip (ie, like a punch). I could hypothetically see advanced powerlifting to detriment your footwork.

Warning, the preceeding post was entirely fluff that I pulled from my ass. Take it with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
    I'm not a boxer, but I just can't imagine getting stronger to be a detriment for a guy just starting out. Sure the greats of boxing probably don't need to do heavy deads, but some guy going from couch to ring needs a strength base.
    I'd HIGHLY recommend transitioning to an oly-style program when linear progression slows down - the oly lifts are ALL about high power generated from the hip (ie, like a punch). I could hypothetically see advanced powerlifting to detriment your footwork.

Warning, the preceeding post was entirely fluff that I pulled from my ass. Take it with a grain of salt.
    Thats pretty much the same train of thought I have. Nothing bad can come from building up a firm core strength base and I'm going to go ahead and do it anyway. I'll just listen to my body and make adjustments if the situation calls for it.

I don't see how SS along with boxing will hinder speed performance?? I guess time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Von Richards View Post
    I don't see how SS along with boxing will hinder speed performance?? I guess time will tell.
    If you are saying that I thought it would, then you misread. I think hardcore powerlifter training would slow you down, but SS will not. SS does not last forever, it just gets weak people strong. Don't skimp on your powercleans.

Quote Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
    If you are saying that I thought it would, then you misread. I think hardcore powerlifter training would slow you down, but SS will not. SS does not last forever, it just gets weak people strong. Don't skimp on your powercleans.
    Yeah I'm not looking for any advanced PL programmes or routes. I just see SS as a simple way to gain strength quite quickly... which is pretty appealing to me. Don't worry about me skimping on the PCleans ;-) (I think they would help boxing the most in terms of explosive power.)

(DW I didn't misread your post... the 'loss of speed' was in reference to my OP)

Cheers for your input.

starting strength coach development program
    It is refreshing to see a boxer post here that doesn't want to stay a skinny little weakling bitch because he likes his abzorz. They seem to come around now and then for a few posts then leave.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast