starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stretching, extreme stretching... yoga

Default Stretching, extreme stretching... yoga

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hello to help further my progress with SS, i have been reading and feeling i need to start stretching, When i use to work out years ago i stretched between sets as i worked out and i felt i suffer from DOMS really bad and i wasn't making good progressive strength gains.

wondering if anyone can point me towards any good articles, videos on stretching and even share personal experiences that worked for them.

Thanks in advance guys!

Pavel tsatsouline is a good guy for stretching stuff. I would say however, if you dont have specific mobility problems or want to achieve a flexibility feat like roundhouse kicks, you do not really need to do much.

The lifts will keep you fairly limber. If you feel you have tight inner thighs limiting good squats do squat stretches. If you have hamstring tightness to some static hamstring stretches. Its not much of an issue.

I like Rip's position on mobility: you need to be mobile as much as your sport or activity requires it, not some random standard you may have imposed on yourself. For a lifter, just performing the lifts can be quite a good stretch. In older or much more inflexible folks, it might not be enough.

I generally have the position that, if I can do my lifts with proper form and without pain, then no additional stretching is needed. If I find my flexibility hinders my form or is causing something to hurt, then I try to do targeted stretching on that region.

Thanks a lot guys! i was really unclear on teh flexibility issue before , i know in the past i hindered my advancement from stretching but was unsure if i shoudl leave it out completely. I am more flexible now not stretching and just doing the lifts, opposed to stretching and lifting. strange.

Reading up on Dc training and the extreme stretching made me wonder if i was not using all the tools necessary to get the most out of myself.

Is that the whole "fascia stretching" thing?

Yes it is. although the descriptions to do teh stretching, make no sense to me, maybe im slow..

I heard some people saying it is good for somewhat advanced bodybuilders but who knows...

advanced bodybuilder is something i am not, im just some 30 year old dude who does most of my lifts in the cage covered in cobwebs and dust in the corner of the gym lol

starting strength coach development program
    Well not true the curl jockeys that pull up their shirts every 5 mins in the mirror usually do extremely heavy and poor form shrugs in the cage. I think back to rips book and under developed people and heavy barbell shrugs. and i cringe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast