starting strength gym

Thread: Should I "start over" with my bench

Default Should I "start over" with my bench

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I started SS in mid May and switched to TM 5 weeks ago. I think my squat, deadlift and even press are coming along pretty well but my bench continues to bother me.

Bodyweight 230lbs
    5RMs
    Squat 370lbs
    Deadlift 375lbs
    Press 135lbs
    Bench 185lbs

I'm having trouble keeping my elbows and shoulders from moving around and as a result my shoulders are starting ache. After some research I have come to the conclusion that my technique sucks. I have separated each shoulder once or twice playing hockey and I assume that excellent technique is going to be the only way for me to progress on the bench and press.

I was thinking about going back to SS for bench and press while keeping squat and deadlift on TM. I would drop the weight on the bench dramatically and try to fix my technique. Is there anything I'm not thinking of here that is going to derail my progress? The competition article by Matt Reynolds has got me thinking about entering meet in February and I don't want to completely suck at the bench portion.
    Last edited by cabish; 12-19-2010 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Background

Quote Originally Posted by cabish View Post
    I'm having trouble keeping my elbows and shoulders from moving around and as a result my shoulders are starting ache.
    You have to fix this shoulder problem. You have to keep them back.

-Try getting a spotter to give you a liftoff, so you don't have to relax the shoulders to unrack the bar
    -Try lowering the weight just a little bit (155, 165), and banging out some sets with the shoulders staying back and not sliding at all
    -Try a different bench (texture)
    -Try different shirts/sweatshirts sizes and textures to help "stick" your shoulders to the bench and keep them back
    -Try rereading the bench chapter. Is your breathing right? Is your eyegaze correct? Is your grip good? Etc etc
    -Try adding some chins and dips and pullups as assistance work
    -Try posting a video so we can do a form check

Quote Originally Posted by Tiburon View Post
    I agree with Tiburon ecspecially on this part. Ive been doing SS for only 2 weeks so I cant help someone on squats and deadlifts as Im not very high in weight on those and still learning proper form with heavy weights.

However Ive been benching and pressing for awhile. I weighed 170 at the time I stalled on bench at 170 lbs. Added dips to my regiment and brought bench up to 215 in a short time. Not sure if your shoulders can handle dips. some people who have shoulder injury cant do em.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Tiburon View Post
    You have to fix this shoulder problem. You have to keep them back.

-Try getting a spotter to give you a liftoff, so you don't have to relax the shoulders to unrack the bar
    -Try lowering the weight just a little bit (155, 165), and banging out some sets with the shoulders staying back and not sliding at all
    -Try a different bench (texture)
    -Try different shirts/sweatshirts sizes and textures to help "stick" your shoulders to the bench and keep them back
    -Try rereading the bench chapter. Is your breathing right? Is your eyegaze correct? Is your grip good? Etc etc
    -Try posting a video so we can do a form check
    I'll try all of this but do I do it while doing TM or SS? The heavy days in TM is where I really have problems. Should I just drop my weights in TM or go to 3x5 or even 5x5 until I can fix this?

Might be good to drop the load to 155 or so and do 5x5 to get in more technique practice. I am uninjured but always used to have shoulder pain when benching which really limited my lifts. I worked on squeezing my scapulae together like trying to pinch a quarter between them. Then I set an arch with my back, grab the bar and push against the bar to drive my shoulders into the bench. I keep my scapulae retracted hard during the whole set, and my shoulder pain disappeared and my bench is finally going up. Posting video may help.