starting strength gym

Thread: Creatine weight gain

Default Creatine weight gain

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Progress: At the end of my Novice LP (just failed all my lifts for the first time in last week or two)

~10 years ago when I did bro splits as a teenagers, I remember taking creatine mixes that usually had a blend of creatine types and some ultra secret gainzzz delivery systems (a.k.a sugar and a blend of common ingredients). I had at minimum a placebo effect from it, but I definitely know every time I would start taking it I would gain at minimum 5lb from water weight within the first week. When I would come off creatine, I would pee like a race horse for days and lose weight. I did a few "cycles", so I know this happened.

This time around I just got Creatine Mono based on everything you have said and I've been taking 10mg for the first 2 weeks and now just 5 mg. I haven't felt any strength effects. But that might be a bit unfair to judge the creatine for since I can just be nearing the end of my LP and everything is grinding to a halt. What I CAN judge is that it's been 3 weeks and I've gained close to no water weight. I've steadily gained about 3lb in 3 weeks which is on par with my scheduled weight gain. Every time I take it, I definitely get extremely thirsty shortly after(Doesn't help living in AZ). I do drink enough water though as my pee is usually almost clear.

Have I become a non-responder?

Hey Timelinex,

Hopefully you're dosing creatine monohydrate at 5g/day (not 5mg), but lack of water weight doesn't necessarily mean you're a non responder. Non responders are fairly common. Things that predispose to it are high initial levels of creatine in the muscle, low levels of fat free mass, and low levels of type II fibers as compared to responders. I would keep taking it though regardless.

Just curious: If low levels of T2 fibers could make one a non responder, then proper weightraining, eg SS, could make one into a responder with time right?

Quote Originally Posted by Dlk93 View Post
    Just curious: If low levels of T2 fibers could make one a non responder, then proper weightraining, eg SS, could make one into a responder with time right?
    No not really, as the amount of type 2 fibers isn't really changing significantly during the novice progression. Muscle mass, sure, but I'm not sure that's gonna make a dent in things either within this context.

Understood. Yes I meant grams.

You say that it is beneficial regardless of bloat or not. However, if I know that a specific combination/type of creatine does bloat me, would that be the better concoction to take for me specifically? Even if there is no proof that any of the other creatines work any better than create mono does in the traditional pathways. I believe more water retention seems like a big benefit to lifting in general?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by timelinex View Post
    Understood. Yes I meant grams.

You say that it is beneficial regardless of bloat or not. However, if I know that a specific combination/type of creatine does bloat me, would that be the better concoction to take for me specifically? Even if there is no proof that any of the other creatines work any better than create mono does in the traditional pathways. I believe more water retention seems like a big benefit to lifting in general?
    I would disagree with that, provided both are creatine monohydrate.