starting strength gym

Thread: Tendonitis vs. Labral tear - should I get scoped?

Default Tendonitis vs. Labral tear - should I get scoped?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Dear Rip --

Sorry for the long post, but you'll find I did my homework before posting, so any input from you appreciated.

I've been having pain along the outside (lateral) part of the upper arm and shoulder for the past 3 weeks (along the area between the biceps and triceps).

Pain comes and goes at rest (may be psychosomatic), but is definitely exacerbated during over-head presses (pain is at a 3 or 4 on a scale of 10 so I can still complete the reps fine), and is also evoked with the usual rotator cuff diagnostic tests (Hawkins test, Empty Can test, etc).

I've searched the forum and have begun rehabbing my shoulder this week per your guidelines: (1) Ibuprofen 800mg qid for 5 days and (2) High-volume chins 15x3 and 15x2, twice a week for 3 weeks. I'm pressing normally as part of the program, making sure to shrug at the top.

I think I got this injury while benching (165 lbs). I was trying to cut (at 5'10 170/15%...stupid I know; won't do it again) and eating very little. I had reduced exercise volume (one main lift/session, three sets; 3 times/week), but still I think I pushed too hard which might have flared things up.

I have started eating again (in fact, I've upped my calories from 2000kcal to 4500kcal) and going back on the SS novice program coz clearly I'm not strong enough.

I have two questions:

1. Because the pain wasn't sudden or sharp at onset, and because I can chin with no problems...this isn't a labrum tear (or tear of any kind), correct? Should I get scoped to be absolutely sure?

2. Other than ITBS, I've never had any injury/tendonitis before, so I don't know what to expect during recovery. The fact that overhead pressing hurts is normal part of tendonitis and rehab, correct?

Thank you so much for your time.

You know that "scoped" means surgery, right?

Sorry, I meant MRI.

I'm sorry your shoulder hurts. Mine does too. It will get better. Train while it does.

Just to be clear, it is only my RIGHT shoulder that hurts. At the risk of sounding silly (too late), I point it out because my form is good and I know if it were both shoulders, that these might just growing pains

In any case, I will continue to train. Thank you Rip. You are more than awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by abduality View Post
    Just to be clear, it is only my RIGHT shoulder that hurts.
    Mine too.

Quote Originally Posted by abduality View Post
    because I can chin with no problems...this isn't a labrum tear (or tear of any kind), correct? Should I get scoped to be absolutely sure?
    I tore my labrum twice and had two surgeries, one arthroscopic (reinjured about 6-months later), and the second and final surgery was open reconstructive.

When I got my shoulder operation I was unable to do chins or monkey bars, a partial shoulder dislocation occurred, and my shoulder continuously dislocated while I was sleeping. This resulted in substantial bruising around the shoulder area. Pretty different , "pain is at a 3 or 4 on a scale of 10."

Modern medicine has made us hypersensitive to any pain in the joints or back, unfortunately resulting in "do I need surgery." This is rarely the case, even if "healthcare professionals" tell us otherwise.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by troxm25 View Post
    Modern medicine has made us hypersensitive to any pain in the joints or back, unfortunately resulting in "do I need surgery." This is rarely the case, even if "healthcare professionals" tell us otherwise.
    I absolutely applaud you on a brilliant point made here. I could not have said this any better myself. In all honesty, this is one of the greatest pieces of wisdom posted on this board. All who frequent this board would be wise to read this quote several times.