starting strength gym

Thread: DL Setup Practice

Default DL Setup Practice

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey Coaches, thank you in advance for any time you can put towards this, it is greatly appreciated!

Info:
    6'0", 193 lbs (in week 6 of a new SS LP)
    Squat 240x5x3
    Press 120x5x3
    Bench 180x5x3
    Power Clean 170x3x5
    Deadlift 330x5

I noticed on my 330 DL that it was not very clean. Low hips, "squatting" the bar up, bar rolling forward. I wanted to be more disciplined in my starting position, and am having a hell of a time getting all the way flat with my back when my hips stay high.

The video I am attaching is of me today on a rest day just practicing getting setup with light weight. I did my best to follow the 5-step protocol correctly. My back did feel very tight/"uncomfortable", like I couldn't squeeze anymore, but it still looks rounded to me. In this video, I was practicing the setup, so I reset and backed off the bar after each rep to show my full setup.

https://youtu.be/Nz1FYaa61Ds

I also have several clips from the side as well as the 330x5 from last week if you'd like me to post. I apologize for the unorthodox video style (singles, full setup) but I really want to get this right.

Again thank you for your time!

CD

P.S. I apologize for the Linkin Park in the first 3 seconds. No one should have to go through that.

The bar goes up as you're getting tight.
    Do you know why?

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    The bar goes up as you're getting tight.
    Do you know why?
    To be honest I don't know for certain. My guess in this case would be that the load is too light. If it was heavier, it wouldn't leave the ground and I'd have more "room" to keep squeezing.

CD

Right. It is a ridiculously light weight and the tension you generate will pop it off the floor early even before you are finished. So it is not showing anything useful and it is not useful practice for you either.

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    Right. It is a ridiculously light weight and the tension you generate will pop it off the floor early even before you are finished. So it is not showing anything useful and it is not useful practice for you either.
    Well, I feel like an idiot. I'll reset the weight a bit from 330, get a set of 5 on video and make a new thread (unless I should just post it in this one).

I'm really sorry for wasting your time here!

CD

starting strength coach development program
    So do the set-up the same way. When you squeeze up, try to squeeze up hard enough to pull 330 off the ground instead of 33.