starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New right knee pain when squatting

Default New right knee pain when squatting

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey folks,

I've developed a new stupid pain in my right knee when squatting. It's on the way down and is a sharp pain on the side of the knee (not the front or back). It's starts during my warm ups and then gets better.

I noticed that my stance was placing most of my weight on the outer edges of my feet (I wasn't really "planting" them flat) and I've tried to concentrate on this but the knee pain persists.

I used a wider stance (apologies to Larry Craig) when I squatted the other day and it seemed better.

Any idea of what I might have done or should do to improve it?

Thanks.

Sunil

If it's the outside of the knee it could be your IT band is irritated. You could try rolling on a foam roller along the entire IT band area and see if that helps loosen things up.

Did it come on like an sudden injury or more slowly?

It came on all of a sudden during one of my warm up sets about two weeks ago. I came up out of the hole, and noticed a "twinge" in my knee. Now I'm having some pain when I try to climb stairs (nothing when going down the stairs). IT band is a good thought. I'm also wondering if I was inadvertently twisting my knee when my feet weren't planted flat and I've injured a meniscus or something.

Sunil

Quote Originally Posted by rao00010 View Post
    It came on all of a sudden during one of my warm up sets about two weeks ago. I came up out of the hole, and noticed a "twinge" in my knee. Now I'm having some pain when I try to climb stairs (nothing when going down the stairs). IT band is a good thought. I'm also wondering if I was inadvertently twisting my knee when my feet weren't planted flat and I've injured a meniscus or something.

Sunil
    Since it was sudden it does make me wonder if you did injury it vs overuse. Rolling can't hurt it any but don't roll on the knee just the band part not the bony part.

I'll make an educated guess and say it's patellofemoral pain syndrome--which can develop spontaneously or gradually. Read this and let me know if it sounds right:
    Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome-OrthoInfo - AAOS

Is the pain under the kneecap or down the outside edge of the joint ?

Are your knees in line with your toes?

Thanks for the link to patellofemoral syndrome. It was helpful. Some of the symptoms are similar but the pain is on the outside and inside of my knee, not in the front.

I think my knees weren't in line with my toes and I pulled or stretched the ligaments on the outside of my knee joint. I must have gotten lazy on one of my warm up sets and didn't pay close enough attention to form.

It's tough to bounce back from these minor transgressions when you're a geezer.

Sunil

Quote Originally Posted by rao00010 View Post
    Thanks for the link to patellofemoral syndrome. It was helpful. Some of the symptoms are similar but the pain is on the outside and inside of my knee, not in the front.

I think my knees weren't in line with my toes and I pulled or stretched the ligaments on the outside of my knee joint. I must have gotten lazy on one of my warm up sets and didn't pay close enough attention to form.

It's tough to bounce back from these minor transgressions when you're a geezer.

Sunil
    I had pain on the outside and inside of my knee and was diagnosed with PFPS.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by umairsemail View Post
    I had pain on the outside and inside of my knee and was diagnosed with PFPS.
    So in other words, you had knee pain and you were diagnosed with knee pain.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast