starting strength gym

Thread: Geezasaur program

Default Geezasaur program

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    RE: page 166 PPST. Near bottom of page Mon sqts are 5X5. Is this 5 across or pyramided? And the sets of 3s & 4s are across?

Argosy,

Just to be clear, you're a Geezosaur (70+)? If so, sets across or ramped would be way to much volume for you. I'm a geezer (56) myself and do relatively high volume, but nothing like this. I believe you could do it either way, but ramped sets (working up to one heavy set) would be preferable, and I believe are what Starr originally intended.

I also think you are confusing sets and reps. The notation is sets x reps, so there aren't actually any 3's or 4's in this program.

Are you post-novice? If so, check out p. 233 of PPST3 for an outline of how to structure a similar program for a geezer+.

Edit: Read your profile. I'd definitely check out the Starr-style programming for intermediate old guys on p. 233.

Scott
    Last edited by Scott Hanson; 10-29-2015 at 12:53 PM.

For what it's worth, I'm 64 and doing descending 5s (see Andy's piece "5 Ways to do 5x5"). That way, you'll get your top set completed when you're fresh. As Andy says, geezers are intensity dependent - keep pushing the weight on the bar.

Scott: yea 72 in a couple of mos. been doing SS FOR 15 mos. went to HLM with 3(sets)x5 on sqt. The program on pg 166 has rows which I like at 4X5 and sqts at 5x5. BP OHP & IP are all 4X5. Just doesn't say across or pyr or descending.
    Mashed: I'll look it up tks.
    Current sqt is 3(sets)X5 @ 210 and dd lft is 250 1x5 the rest suck.