starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sad, But Always Remer Safety When Training Alone

Default Sad, But Always Remer Safety When Training Alone

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Coaches, feel free to move this to another section. Always a good reminder to train safely. Could be more to the story, but ket's take it at face value. Hope my link works.

Troubled ex-UN official dies after barbell falls on his neck | New York Post
    Troubled ex-UN official dies after barbell falls on his neck | New York Post

Also SSC's, a heartfelt thanks for all the help you provide. You guys are an azing groip.

Yeesh. More proof that while squats and deadlifts may hurt your feelings, it is the bench press that can kill you.

Damn. And he'd been passing out prior to his death, yet no spotter and probably no safety bars. Rip has mentioned many times that the exercise that will kill you in the gym is the bench press.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Yeesh. More proof that while squats and deadlifts may hurt your feelings, it is the bench press that can kill you.
    No kidding. I did a Push/Pull contest a few weeks ago and one of the other lifters managed to drop about 400lbs on his chest due to his use of a suicide grip. He seemed OK after getting checked out but I'm sure he'll be feeling it for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobster View Post
    No kidding. I did a Push/Pull contest a few weeks ago and one of the other lifters managed to drop about 400lbs on his chest due to his use of a suicide grip. He seemed OK after getting checked out but I'm sure he'll be feeling it for some time.
    That is definitely a good way to fuck yourself up. There was a video from a few years ago from a powerlifting meet, perhaps in Eastern Europe somewhere, that showed a dude dropping a heavy bar (400+ pounds) on himself. As I understand it, he died shortly thereafter.

That is definitely a good way to fuck yourself up. There was a video from a few years ago from a powerlifting meet, perhaps in Eastern Europe somewhere, that showed a dude dropping a heavy bar (400+ pounds) on himself. As I understand it, he died shortly thereafter.
    That's why I never bench press 400+. Among other reasons.

This post made me chuckle. It is true that if you don't bench 405, you will not drop 405 on yourself while benching.

The video with very shitty, ignorant and completely lacking of common sense of the spotters, and probably lacking of any kind of instructions at all from the meet directors?

What the fuck they are doing anyway? I wonder do they sleep at night knowing that they killed someone that day.

I can't tell if the lifter in question is using a suicide grip. I just can't see it thanks to video quality.

That is the video. However, the spotter's job is not to catch a dropped bench press. Their job is to help put the bar back in the rack in the event the lifter fails. Did you see how quickly that bar fell and how little warning there was? There was nothing for the spotters to do, unfortunately.

starting strength coach development program
    However, the spotter's job is not to catch a dropped bench press. Their job is to help put the bar back in the rack in the event the lifter fails. Did you see how quickly that bar fell and how little warning there was? There was nothing for the spotters to do, unfortunately.
    But they could've been prepared, right? I meant their hands/elbow could've followed the bar, in the event of that catastrophic a fail it would probably hurt everyone including the spotters but the lifter didn't have to die. Am I dead wrong? (pun wasn't but is intended)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast