starting strength gym

Thread: Platform Construction Advice

Default Platform Construction Advice

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello guys,

We've got an interesting problem, as our only real option is to so our SS at our Dojo on some Tatami mats (Judo fall mats).
    Rip was kind enough to advise me as a noob, that although these mats are very firm, they are not a "hard surface" and why this wasn't a good idea.

If you want to lift heavy weights, the surface you are standing on must not absorb any of the force you generate. It must all be transmitted to the load you lift. The heavier the load relative to your absolute strength, the less room for slop within the force transmission process.

So now we're looking for a solution.
    Normally a good old lifting platform would do, but there are some barriers to this.
    It would be super valuable if you guys could chime in with your experience as I think this question is little below Rips pay grade.

SS3 goes into how to build a lifting platform.
    However, we have a few barriers. I feel the full lifting platform may not work.
    - Cost, we're just a bunch of college friends lifting
    - Our equipment has to be stored away each session, storage space is limited, and often the packing away needs to be done by one person
    - Our workout space is somewhat limited as well.

Having now read up on platform construction, a lot of the specifications seem to be more for reducing bumper plate wear, noise, etc, something we're not as concerned about. Therefore if our only goal is to lift safely, is this specification below an option?

Central "standing section" is separate from rubber mats.
    - Mats are laid "free" either side of ply
    - Ply vertically flush with the mats to avoid trip hazard.
    - Ply laid right where 4 Tatami mats meet so as to ensure maximum stability.

Central "standing section" a smaller size of 2'6" x 6'?
    - wide enough for the widest stance
    - long enough for a reasonable walk out from the squat racks, that would also be on the platform

Single x 1/2" plank of ply (flush with rubber mats)
    - instead of the 3 x 3/4" screwed together
    Thanks a bunch for your time guys

Much appreciate it

Cheers

Tig

I've read this twice and I am still not really sure what you are asking.