starting strength gym

Thread: 1RM-10RM wall chart

Default 1RM-10RM wall chart

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Is there such a thing as line graph that shows 1-10RM for different weights?

Let me explain my need for such a thing. Last night, I warmed up for overhead presses and arrived at my work set, 150x5. On the first rep, I felt a sharp pain in my upper arm. Didn't even complete the rep--not sure what caused it. I waited a few minutes and tried again--same thing. Well, pressing heavy overhead seemed like a bad idea. But rather than bail out of the workout entirely, I decided to lower the weight a lot--drop to 95 pounds. But, I asked myself, how many reps should I do? I settled on 10 reps--seemed like a nice round number and indeed it felt like a good workout. But in fact, according to the calculators I saw later, I should have been good for 125 x 10--I really wimped out.

I don't mean to focus here on what went wrong with my overhead presses, or what a wimp I am. Rather, it would be helpful, I feel, to have a chart that shows different "bands," if you will, lines on a chart for what 10RM and 5RM correspond to a given 1RM. Then, if you are doing a 10RM or 5RM or 1RM workout, you can compare it to different XRM scheme at a glance, without having to use a calculator.

Does this make sense? Is there such a graph?

Thank you

There are tons of formulas, but none are dead on. The farther you get from a 1RM, the less accurate they are. The easy formula to go by is the one that Wendler has in 531. I don't know who came up with it, but that's where I first saw it. I apologize to the originator for not citing him.

1RM = Workweight + .0333(Workweight x Reps) 3 reps at 300 = 1RM of 330

Remeber there are some people who are great at reps and suck at 1rm, and others who have high 1rm and suck at reps. I have found that formula to be dead on for Squats in the 3-5 range for me. For Bench and especially press, it overestimates the actual 1rm. Any number of reps over 7, and it's not even close IME. I use it more to compare sets of 3 reps vs 5, more than estimating actual 1rm.

These are different from person to person from lift to lift.
    You can build a personalized RPE chart by hitting true rep maxes within a couple of weeks of hitting a true 1rm. Thre is actually an article out there on how to do this if you dig around.

I think there are a number of calculators out there. A quick google search revealed many pages with them. As other have said nothing will be precise but I my entirely uneducated, ransoms-Internet-poster opinion is that you did the right thing getting reps in, if only for technique and volume purposes.

There are several 1RM calculators for Android and IOS. Pick one. I think you can bring your mobile device with you when you train in a commercial gym, or if you are at home then you'd probably have it with you.