starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The difference between weight and percentage?

Question The difference between weight and percentage?

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Hello Mark,
    In your work Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training, 3rd edition, you recommended to load progressively with predetermined weight.
    I want to ask can i load by a percentage of my 1RM like 5% every workout session?, and if it possible for SS routine, what is the percentage the athlete must start with it?, and how much % he will add, and when?.
    Thank you at the end.

Do you have the book? Percentages are not useful, and are not mentioned in the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmed Elsisy View Post
    Hello Mark,
    In your work Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training, 3rd edition, you recommended to load progressively with predetermined weight.
    I want to ask can i load by a percentage of my 1RM like 5% every workout session?, and if it possible for SS routine, what is the percentage the athlete must start with it?, and how much % he will add, and when?.
    Thank you at the end.
    If you go up by percentage, you will get to infinity faster.

what is the percentage the athlete must start with it?,
    if you are just starting, how do you already have a 1RM?

Several of you guys have been very patient with this guy, and very generous with your time. I'd suggest that your kindness should be more qualified next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Several of you guys have been very patient with this guy, and very generous with your time. I'd suggest that your kindness should be more qualified next time.
    Yes, I have your useful book, I know you don't recommend percentage progression, and I mentioned that above -if you read with concentration-, just I want to make a debate with experts to clear every thing about the two methods, so all of us can benefit from it, but if that annoy you and your fellows i withdrawal it, and i will not post again.
    One More Thing, There's no thing needing to be patient with it, I didn't do wrong thing, and I am not asking for a philanthropy, I can search and discover like any body even if it is harder for me, but nothing is impossible, I just know the importance and value of knowledge and always want to share it with every body may need it, It's a moral concept, and morals are the heart of life, especially in sports field.
    Thank you all of you for being generous with your time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiburon View Post
    if you are just starting, how do you already have a 1RM?
    *snirk*

I want to make a debate with experts to clear every thing about the two methods, so all of us can benefit from it
    You want experts to debate about a thing that they've determined isn't useful? Wouldn't it be more beneficial to all of us if they spent their time expanding on things that are useful? Keep Intelligent Design out of our classrooms!

morals are the heart of life
    What is even...

Don't bother, Mr. Lippke. This is that whole RPE thing all over again.

I want to ask can i load by a percentage of my 1RM like 5% every workout session?
    Hi Ahmed. Sure, go for it. When your 1RM is 200 lbs, add 10 lbs per workout. By the time your 1RM is 300 lbs, you should be able to add 15 lbs per workout. That's not the way we would normally approach it, but try it out and let us know how it goes.

starting strength coach development program
    Yes, Ahmed, keep us posted! Everybody has an opportunity to learn this way!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast