starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Programming for power in baseball

Default Programming for power in baseball

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    I am 29y and I have used SS for a while now and it has gotten me to the following numbers
    DL 330lbs 1x5
    SQ 300 lbs 3x5
    Press 132lbs 3x5
    Power clean 165lbs 5x3
    BP 187lbs 3x5

Bodyweight: 200lbs

But now I want to focus more on power for the upcoming baseball season and I have created a program that looks like this:

Mon:
    Sq 3x5
    Pushpress 5x3
    DL 1x5

Wed:
    SQ 3x5 (80% of monday)
    PC 5x3
    Boxjumps 5x5

Fri:
    SQ3x5
    PC 5x3
    Pushpress 5x3
    Heavy KB swings 3x6

Looks ok or not?

Assuming you are ready to go to intermediate programming, there are Heavy-Light-Medium templates for power athletes in PPST3.

I wouldn't leave the press or bench press out of the program without specific reason, but adding push press is a good idea IMO.

Do you mean "power" in the weightlifting sense or do you mean "power" in the baseball sense?

I mean power and explosivness in the term om better bat speed and a faster sprint, so that would be in the baseball sense then I reckon. As I have gained about 33lbs on the SS now I'm starting to feel a bit slow.

i hope those aren't 5x5 weighted box jumps.

Get that bench up.

I'm 99% sure Jordan said a big bench really translate to more power in a baseball and golf swing.

I always thought that the press and also the push press had more practical use for athletes? I also have some memory of Rip saying that the role of benchpress in SS is for making the program more appealing to the average gym crowd. But please correct me if I´m wrong

Why is the weighted box jump so bad? I understand that the impact would be far greater but programmed wisely they should work? Or not?

Re: bench it was an email discussion I had with Jordan after I mentioned that having not golfed in two years I was hitting my 3-wood 270+ yards and my driver 330+ yards. Prior to really doing strength training, I could only muster about 270 with my driver. I'm 99% sure he said benching helps with baseball too, but I suppose I could be wrong.

Have you thought about asking the coaches in their forum for programming advice?

Benjamin, if you are still capable of running novice programming, I think increasing the five SS lifts is going to have the biggest impact on your displayable power together with fatigue management.

My suggestion would be to continue with the program until the season actually starts and then adapt your weight training to the demands of your sport. That means primarily adjusting volume/intensity/frequency, rather than exercise selection, in a way that lets you train your sport productively and be properly rested before games.

starting strength coach development program
    Honestly, I think nothing will help you in baseball more than squats deads powercleans bench and presses. As for feeling slow, don't try to solve that with your lifting exercise selection, solve that by adding appropriate conditioning work (prowler, bike intervals, hill sprints etc). Basically, get strong as shit in the gym with the big lifts and condition appropriately. No reason to get fancy with more than that. Best of luck. I'm sure you are going to do big things on the diamond this season.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast