starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RELATIVE INTENSITY applied in new program HELP

Default RELATIVE INTENSITY applied in new program HELP

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    At first I did a base version for novice/intermediate lifters following the Bill Starr 5x5 way to go (linear pre-periodization):

Monday
    squats 5x5
    bench 5x5
    barbell rows 5x5

Wednesday
    squats 4x5
    military press 4x5
    deadlifts 4x5

Friday
    squats 5x5
    bench 5x5
    barbell rows 5x5

That was my first real training.

Then I moved up to the periodized version for advanced lifters (I was basing my training on template and my warm-up wasn't properly done)... so without big surprise it simply didn't work for me at the 3rd week of the loading/volume phase as prescribed.

I read PPST3 and found why it wasn't working for me and I came up with doing the general heavy-light-medium program (bill starr intermediate section) for a bit more physique results too in the future.

I'd like to know your opinion on it and if you tried it before or whatsoever you're thinking.

General Heavy-Light-Medium (from PPST3)

Monday(heavy)
    squats 5x5 @?80?%
    bench press 4x5 @85%
    barbell rows 4x8 @80%

Wednesday(light)
    squats 3x5 @70%
    press (military) 4x5 @70%
    deadlifts 1x5 @70%

Friday(medium)
    squats 3x5 @80%
    Incline bench press 4x5 @75%
    chins/pull ups/ lats pulldown 3-5x5-8 @75%

I'm new to the relative intensity concept as mentioned in PPST3... so if you can help me with percentage it would be nice.

Thanks alot,
    Zigaroo

What is your bodyweight and your current 1RM's?

BW 180 lbs

1RM
    squat 275 lbs
    bench 175 lbs
    row 165 lbs
    deadlift 325 lbs
    incline 160 lbs
    military 115 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by zigaroo View Post
    BW 180 lbs

1RM
    squat 275 lbs
    bench 175 lbs
    row 165 lbs
    deadlift 325 lbs
    incline 160 lbs
    military 115 lbs
    Don't take this wrong, but you do know there's a chapter in PPST3 about novice programming, right?

I feel like relative intensity training should be reserved for advanced lifters, personally. It's hard for a novice or early intermediate to accurately gauge just how strenuous something is for them. Mike Tuchscherer talks a lot about this.

How tall are you?

IF you have actually done a linear progression you should know what your work set weights are for 5 reps. You 1 rep max is totally irrelevant. Don't even worry about it.

I would recommend you just do this:

Heavy Day: Use a weight heavy enough for each exercise that the last set leaves you about one or two reps away from failing on it/breaking acceptable form.

Light Day: Use 85% of the weight you used on your heavy day.

Medium Day: Use 90% of the weight you used on your heavy day.

The Heavy Day's weight will get to the point where you are almost failing on the last rep of work sets as you increase the weights.

Quote Originally Posted by WorkoutNick View Post
    How tall are you?
    6 feet 2 inches

You need to do GOMAD/Linear Progression until you either gain 50 lbs or lose 6 inches.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahogany View Post
    Don't take this wrong, but you do know there's a chapter in PPST3 about novice programming, right?
    I know but as I worked with novice programming (at my beginning) I lacked in the knowledge part of my "training" so I stalled around 250lbs (5rm work sets) and when I switch to the intermediate programming I didn't do a proper transition as illustrated in PPST3. Basically after that I worked hard in a intermediate program and slowed down my progression with common mistakes to the point where I was not able to do more than 3 complete sets at 265lbs, when I was able to do 270lbs in the past.

Now I'm trying to figure a way out, to finally come back to a acceptable position... Do you have suggestions? Can I possibly return to some type of training to work back without mistakes this time?

starting strength coach development program
    I did a linear progression but I didn't do a proper transition after that and I stalled continuously to the point where I stopped training (been a month or so) resulting in the loss of my work sets.

I read that when you calculate your 5RM for your training the result is incorrect because you just stress your body again. How do you proceed to properly calculate your 5RM - 1RM correctly?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast