starting strength gym

Thread: Presses before squatting?

Default Presses before squatting?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I have a case of tendinitis and it is starting to get really painful to bench after squatting. I can still handle presses after square. Thinking of moving bench before square on bench days until pain clears up. Started the ibuprofen protocol Rip suggests. Anyone try this?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt275 View Post
    I have a case of tendinitis and it is starting to get really painful to bench after squatting. I can still handle presses after square. Thinking of moving bench before square on bench days until pain clears up. Started the ibuprofen protocol Rip suggests. Anyone try this?
    Brachialis?

Mostly where shoulders meet the triceps. Starting to present in the elbow area too. I had a session with Beau Bryant and he said my rack position looks good on my squat so I don't think it's my grip. I have really tight shoulders and I think that's the cause. At the end of my squat sets my shoulders are killing me. I'm trying to slowly work my grip in.

Is there pain in those areas when you tilt your neck back?

No pain when tilting neck back.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt275 View Post
    Mostly where shoulders meet the triceps. Starting to present in the elbow area too. I had a session with Beau Bryant and he said my rack position looks good on my squat so I don't think it's my grip. I have really tight shoulders and I think that's the cause. At the end of my squat sets my shoulders are killing me. I'm trying to slowly work my grip in.
    Do you mean where the delts meet the triceps?
    For the elbows is it above the elbow or right at ? and is it on the inside(rib side) or outside.

Oh, and there's no problem really doing the presses before squatting and that's a good change in the short term, but you'll have to fix the underlying problem because this stuff doesn't seem to just go away and it gets worse as the squat weight gets heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by veryhrm View Post
    Do you mean where the delts meet the triceps?
    For the elbows is it above the elbow or right at ? and is it on the inside(rib side) or outside.

Oh, and there's no problem really doing the presses before squatting and that's a good change in the short term, but you'll have to fix the underlying problem because this stuff doesn't seem to just go away and it gets worse as the squat weight gets heavier.
    I'll pay careful attention after I squat tomorrow to where exactly it hurts. It's mostly right after squatting. I do mean where delta meet the triceps and it's above the elbows.

(oh, i guess one problem is that usually the press serves as a break between the squats and DL / PC. DL right after squats means you may have to take a break there or do somewhat less weight. Putting squats after PC would be alright. Squats after DL... i haven't tried it, but i really don't want to either.)

starting strength coach development program
    I press before squatting, ever since I had a shoulder problem that squatting would aggravate a little, but didn't cause. Works fine for me. I still bench after squatting though (So I either press>squat>DL or squat>bench>DL). I don't have much of a problem deadlifting right after squatting, but I just take my time with the deadlift (or powerclean) warmups if I need it. A lot of that order has to do with the fact that the gym only has one rack, and my wife and I work out together, so I get there a little earlier in the afternoons and press/squat first to prevent having to have two people in the rack at the same time, but wait for her to be around to spot the bench some days, so bench goes later. By the same token, she benches first because I'm normally still squatting.
    Last edited by hollismb; 10-27-2013 at 04:57 PM.