starting strength gym

Thread: Do clean pulls mean anything

Default Do clean pulls mean anything

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Despite coaching from Tom, Jordan and Carl in London I have a nasty tendency to arm pull during cleans.
    After seeing some advice on the coaches Q&A to another member I tried out a few clean pulls.
    I've power cleaned 60kg with good form and am pretty unexplosive (SVJ 18") but was a bit surprised to find I could jump a good 3-4 inches of the ground with 100kg with ease. Is this what one would expect or does it indicate that my power cleans have a fair bit left in the tank?.
    I'm power cleaning simply for interest's sake to learn the movement. I don't expect it to improve my deadlift.
    I'm 44. 90kg. Best deadlift 185kgx5.

This is kind of semantics:
    But a "clean pull" your feet (toes) normally stay on the ground. . . being that the instant to reach full extension (hip,knee,ankle) to start to pull w/ the arms and/or shrug. The pulling of the weight up would keep the rest of the body on the platform.

It sounds like, yes 100 kg sounds light for you if you are able to jump up and down with the bar in the hands.
    . . .so yes, my opinion you have alot left in the tank . . .would not be surprised if could power clean 85kg just with moar power clean practice.
    Get to it

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    This is kind of semantics:
    But a "clean pull" your feet (toes) normally stay on the ground. . . being that the instant to reach full extension (hip,knee,ankle) to start to pull w/ the arms and/or shrug. The pulling of the weight up would keep the rest of the body on the platform.

It sounds like, yes 100 kg sounds light for you if you are able to jump up and down with the bar in the hands.
    . . .so yes, my opinion you have alot left in the tank . . .would not be surprised if could power clean 85kg just with moar power clean practice.
    Get to it
    Thanks. My weightlifting terminology might be a bit out. I'm simply forgetting about the rack, focussing on keeping my arms straight and jumping. Didn't know what else to call it!. But, yes, I can get off the floor pretty easily with 100kg.

High pulls.