starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not built to squat?

Default Not built to squat?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Howdy.

So, I'll get a bar-free video up later, but my lower back refuses to stop hurting, and it's because I find it impossible to squat below parallel without rounding my back. Instead of being a pussy I've just continued to stubbornly go deep, but my lower back is constantly sore and 'ginger.' The only time it feels good is after warmup sets through 10 minutes after my workout.

While nearly nothing is impossible, I don't see how I can get below parallel. I feel like I'm a fairly normal build, maybe I have slightly long femurs but i'm not really proportioned too weirdly.

There are squat examples in the book and the older guy with 'kyphosis' does seem to be well above parallel and Mark approves of his squat form.

I'll post a video of me attempting to get below parallel without a bar later, but is it possible I'm just not built to take it that deep?

If you tell me to 'work on my flexibility' I will punch you in the adductors.

How bad does it round? I mean, a little butt wink is possible

Go as deep as you can while maintaining back tightness, over time you will stretch out.

Some actual static stretching of the hamstrings, adductors etc plus adopting a wider stance can help too.

I used to squat in what may be considered a Sumo stance for this issue, I have recently drastically narrowed my stance which obviously limited my depth. But it is much improved from months ago when I would struggle to hit depth even with a wide stance. Over the past few sessions depth with narrow stance has improved to the point I am legitimately hitting parallel on every rep without rounding. It is still a bitch to drive hips up though.

If you can't get below parallel with a bar (without rounding), I don't see how you'll do better without having the bar to flex against/push you down. Have you posted a (weighted) squat video to Rip? Perhaps he can help.

EDIT: I see where you posted a video that was critiqued by TomC. Heed his advice, if that doesn't help, perhaps you need some direct coaching. Apparently, you squatted correctly at least once. That means you can do it again. FWIW, I can't see the video where I am.
    Last edited by jameson; 04-22-2010 at 03:41 PM.

Get some oly shoes. My form within a week became decent, without my shoes I can't squat properly, as i'm not flexible enough. Yet I don't want to be any more flexible as I have just enough flexibility to go just below parallel and feel tight and get a good bounce

Somebody needs to clean my house, I'm not gonna do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEL-OjdtQ1A

Firstly, I approve of your musical selection. I took a look at your weighted squat video here:

http://www.startingstrength.com/reso...ad.php?t=16050

And then I watched your unweighted version on this thread. You definitely look like you have some flexibility issues, but I've seen worse. In your unweighted squat video you are in over extension at the beginning. It looks uncomfortable from start to finish. You don't need to arch so hard in the beginning and I think all that effort is sapping your ability to control things at the bottom a bit.

Lordotic extension is the goal, but a neutral, unmoving back is okay, too. You don't want your back bending under a load because, as you mentioned, it irritates the shit out of it and predisposes you to injury. Here are some possibilities (in no particular order):
    • Get a good coach. Have him yell at you and cue you. It really does help.
    • Consider Rip's recommendation of vicious massage. A sadistic masseuse can stretch you better than you can yourself. They can also help with limited mobility from scarring and/or lack of use. Prepare for pain.
    • Start stretching early and often throughout the day. I think in your case, you might need to do the unthinkable and find four to five times a day to stretch each hamstring for a minimum of 90 seconds. Look into PNF stretching.
    • Check out this thread about tight hammies, too.I have a response in there about PNF work.
    • Make Rip's/Dan John's "goblet squat" stretch a regular part of your day.
    • I like bullet points.
    • Get acquainted with a foam roller and a lacrosse ball for your upper back issues.

You look like you're smashing yourself down into the bottom position. I would take TomC's advice.

Again, heed TomC's advice. I had Nisora look at my squats and he noticed my lower back was in over extension, too. Or whatever it was, I was arching way too hard. Once I moved my focus from my low back to an upright chest, my squats feel great.

starting strength coach development program
    A video of your unweighted squat is not useful to diagnose this issue. I've seen plenty of folks who can't maintain lumbar extension in an unweighted squat, or even with an empty bar, but do just fine with some weight on the bar.

Anyhow, try forward leg swings to stretch out your hamstrings and put up a video with a little weight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast