starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form-Check

Default Squat Form-Check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Due to current condition*, having correct form is very important for me. I will be happy to hear all your comments, even about very small details.

* Femoral and patellar cartilage is in a bad shape (underwent knee surgery on both knees a year ago) + older injury on lower back (spondylolysis with slight stenosis and very slight spondylolisthesis).

This is yesterday's worksets (110kgx5x3, a new post-op PR):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1DBuIMqCgQ

Thank you in advace

Default Form Check

Congratulations on your recovery. On the whole, it looks like you're progressing very well. Your depth is good, and bar path is vertical. Make sure you're looking down as you squat--maybe look at that rack foundation instead of straight ahead. Also, try to work your hands in a little more to tighten your upper back.

Also, take a look at your left foot in the video. It looks like your instep comes up in a few reps--are you having any left knee pain? Work on keeping your feet evenly planted; a good pair of lifting shoes would also alleviate this problem.

Great form, speed, and progression. Just a couple of items to look at.

Those are almost text book. You have hip drive and looking down more will enforce it even more.

You asked for details, so details you will get. You squat looks pretty good, so keep that in mind with the things I say below.

You have a highly flexible lower thoracic/lumbar spine. This enables you to keep your chest in an unusually upright position. You back looks like it is actually in overextension through the movement, which can actually cause injury, too. You have back issues and I would be careful about this. Direct your gaze downward and focus on keeping your back locked in normal anatomical position instead of overextension. This will result in a more horizontal torso angle than you are currently using. Strongly consider the use of a belt.

Your stance is on the wide side.

Consider letting your knees come a little further forward earlier in the squat. This will help with balance at the bottom. Weightlifting shoes are a worthwhile investment, too.

Look down.

Get longer shorts.

Get rid of leggings.

TSC, looking down is pretty unanimous. I used to have my hands a bit closer to my head, it aggravated my bad shoulder and I recently moved them out a bit. On the other hand I can try using a mental cue for extra upper back tightness. As for the left foot, I sometimes raise my toes to make sure I'm not throwing the weight on my toes, that may be what you saw (I guess there is no urgent need for that cue any more).

JH, look down, check!

TC, details is indeed that I am looking for. I actually never though about an overextended back resulting in a more vertical chest position, this is a good point. I understand that overextension in the upright position is mechanically unsafe, I always make sure to have a neutral spine at the beginning and end of each rep (locking the hips forward by actively contracting the glutes). Do you think that this degree of back extension midway a rep (while leaving forward, not while upright) could increase the injury risk? Looking at the video again, it almost looks like the lumbar spine is not overextended and that the greatest amount of extension happens somewhere midway between lumbar and thoracic vertebrae (my preexisting injury is much lower - L5-S1). I would like to hear your opinion on this (as well as anyone else's opinion for that matter). I will try looking down, maybe this will help a bit in this respect. I am also starting to consider investing in a good belt.

drvV, look down, check, again! Two weeks ago, while squatting, I tore this pair of shorts at the groin area and it took me a ridiculous amount of time to stitch a patch on! In order to avoid tearing it again, I am folding up the trousers before every set (the black thing hanging on the side is the pocket!) and unfolding afterwards. The "leggings" is a pair of elastic cotton bandage sleeves to keep the knee area warm. I only wear those for squats. ...I also live in Europe so this doesn't look too ghey in this part of the woods!

Thank you all very much for your input. If anyone has more comments to make, it will be appreciated!

Those are some nice looking squats.A consquence of your being able to maintain good lumbar extension throughout is to have a rather upright chest. Head position should be seen in the context of the chest position. A look down cue is used for 2 reasons -
    1. to avoid people from raising their chest first and end up loosing hamstring tightness. This is mostly a problem for older/stiffer trainees
    2. To prevent compression at the base of the neck due to raising neck way beyond the neutral spine position.

In your case, since you are able to maintain lumbar extension so well, your neck position is actually pretty neutra as it is. Your hip drive is not really affected by this either. So, i am pretty sure, your neck position is really not anything to be worried about here. However, i did notice that you are probably 1 inch too high. Stop exactly at 1:35 and see for yourself. You get a better bouce from the bottom with greater depth.
    Good Luck.

Looking at the video again, it almost looks like the lumbar spine is not overextended and that the greatest amount of extension happens somewhere midway between lumbar and thoracic vertebrae (my preexisting injury is much lower - L5-S1).
    I would agree with this. I think your unusual flexibility occurs in your lower thoracic spine. That may be a side effect of the injury to your lower spine. The lumbar vertebrae don't move as much, so the verterbrae above move a little more. Will it predispose you to injury? That's hard to say for sure. Your back is in an overextended position, but it is your thoracic spine, not your lumbar spine that is taking the hit. If I were coaching you, I would still try to get you in a more neutral position. Does your mid-back ever bother you?

starting strength coach development program
    metermanja, thank you very much for your input. The neck actually feels fine at this angle, that's probably why I never realized the head is so upright until I saw the vids. You make a good point about seeing it in the context of the chest position, I wouldn't have thought of that myself. Although the camera angle is not the best possible, I can also see the depth being borderline (I think on some of the reps I barely break parallel and on some others I probably don't). I used to do deeper but with an excessive lumbar flexion. So far it has been my #1 priority to eliminate lumbar flexion, now I will start focusing on getting a better depth while maintaining proper lumbar position (an extra inch or two of depth should be adequate). Next video I will try to shoot from hip height.

TomC, that was my observation as well after the points you made in your first post. My mid-back has never bothered at all and I feel no stress whatsoever on that area when squatting. I can see your point and I guess it might be a possibility that, as I increase the weight lifted, the stress on it might become more significant. My main concern in terms of spine health is to avoid reinjuring the lower-back and as it is I can barely avoid lumbar flexion at the bottom position; as long as proper lumbar position is not compromised I can try to see if it is possible for me to lessen the degree of mid-back extension. Again, thank you very much for taking the time to check my form!