starting strength gym

Thread: Power clean form check?

Default Power clean form check?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTRvnZlIYpk
    Jumping backwards is ingrained into my head from doing power clean wrong for so long and I can't seem to correct it. Is there anything else I should be working on? Is my starting position correct?

Hi,

in the first three cleans, the bar starts moving away from your from the start, because of the way you perform your first pull. When you hit the jumping position, the bar doesn't seem in contact with your thighs, and you appear to bend the arms to move the bar up.
    I think the problems might be in the way you move your hips during the first pull; they seem to shoot up first, but the back is not moving in sync with them. The result is that you then have to pull the bar up from floor with the back, and this moves the bar away from you.

IPB

Early arm bend, hips are shooting up, muted hip involvement at end of second pull. For the start you look a little loose in the low back but positionally looks ok.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    For the start you look a little loose in the low back but positionally looks ok.
    I disagree. I think your starting position is a part of your jumping backwards problem. Your back is very upright and your shoulders are over or just behind the bar. You try to maintain this posture, which is weighted backwards, through your first pull. Not surprisingly, you jump backwards a little in order to balance the system. There's nothing terribly wrong with jumping back a little. I would take that over jumping forwards, but it is still something that you want to get control over. I recommend you start the pull like you do a deadlift. Narrow your stance a little, get your shoulders in front of the bar, and start with a more horizontal back angle. Once there, squeeze the bar off the ground slowly and make sure you brush by the thigh on the jump, as IPB noted.