starting strength gym

Thread: Help me getting big&strong by improving technique :-)

Default Help me getting big&strong by improving technique :-)

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iUZWTZhHMk

Comments are appreciated!

Obviously, your back could be tighter. I'm sure you're already using the 'big chest' cue.

Something that has helped me get into a good position is pointing my toes and knees out. I can't see if you're doing that or not from here.

Some people suggested taking my shoes off since I am on a 3/4 adidas heel.
    Not sure if that causes any problems.

I will try a slight wider stance with toes out.

Is the rounding excessive or approiate for worksets?
    Last edited by Koalala; 06-05-2010 at 08:48 AM.

Your rounding isn't bad, but you never actually get into an extended position at the start. Some folks don't like deadlifting in shoes with a heel, but I do. You should try both. You don't necessarily want a wider stance in the dead, but taking a narrower vertical-jump width stance while pointing the knees and toes outward can be useful.

I think the plates do not have standard diameter aswell this might be an issue.
    (Commercial gyms really do suck leaving soon).

Quote Originally Posted by Koalala View Post
    Some people suggested taking my shoes off since I am on a 3/4 adidas heel.
    Not sure if that causes any problems.

I will try a slight wider stance with toes out.

Is the rounding excessive or approiate for worksets?
    ive seen a few of your lifting videos and would say that you keep your feet plenty sideways enough, perhaps too much for your squats.

The heels are not a problem, there is a lot of suspicion among lifters regarding weightlifting shoes because they dont have any substantial experience of training with them. I lift in adistars and would never go back to barefoot or sneakers.

They really do help your quads get more involved, which you will start to feel as you settle into your ideal deadlift position and lift more challenging weights.

What TomC suggested worked for me. A fairly narrow stance with outwardly pointed feet. It helps you apply by far the most force to the ground because your legs are most perpendicular to the floor which is most efficient. Wider stances rely mostly on adductors making it tougher. (this is what I have found with myself)

The bar & weights do look small on you, but I thought you were just quite tall & big.

Have you tried making a video of a warm up set? So we can see if it is a heavy weight making your back round or a lack of body control?

I reread the chapter on deadlifts a few weeks back not because I was struggling with that lift but because I was struggling with my power cleans and I wanted to start at the very beginning. I never really noticed that I was just bending with my knees and picking up the bar. I noticed that you're doing the same thing. I refer to page 111 in Starting Strength. Bend at the waist to grip the bar and then bend your knees and lift your chest. This should help get your back into the correct starting position. Also the movement should start when you open up your knee angle, then the hips. Its the reverse on the descent. The bar is getting off path because you have to slide it out over your bent knees. I hope this make sense as I'm not always the best at explaining things clearly.

As TomC corrected, I didn't mean a wider stance, just toes and knees out more.

starting strength coach development program
    Very usefull stuff, will film my warm up set and stay at the same weight and see what happens.

Starting Strength + Experience under the bar = awesome.