starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: my deadlift

Default my deadlift

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Ive been doing deadlifts for quite a while now but recently many people told me my technique is very bad, ive watched mark's dvd and read the book and still i perform them pretty bad, could you help me figure out whats wrong?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygCLLvXw80A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL4Wk3zC3GA
    Last edited by dbaf100; 07-02-2010 at 10:35 AM.

First, without lifting 135, the start position will be harder to do. So put two 45 plates under the bar to raise it by an inch or two.

Next, spend a good 10 seconds getting in your start position. If you don't know what to do for those whole 10 seconds, and if it feels comfortable, you're not doing it right. You can do it faster later, but right now you're just grabbing the bar and lifting it. You're not placing yourself, grabbing the bar, pushing your shins into it, and then lifting your chest as much as you can to get a good back arch, and it is why your lift looks bad.

Also I watched this quickly, but I believe your starting hip position was lower on your second link than the first. Ask yourself why? If you have a startup protocol, every first rep should look the same.

As an aside, side-turned videos are not really the best option.
    Either turn your camera, or edit the video so that the people trying to give advice don't have to turn the head 90 degrees.

IPB

Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    As an aside, side-turned videos are not really the best option.
    Either turn your camera, or edit the video so that the people trying to give advice don't have to turn the head 90 degrees.

IPB
    Sorry about that , ill see to it next time - dunno how to edit video's.

The reason my hip was lower in the second vid is cuz some guy who used to be a olympic lifter told me he was told to start as low as possible(but ofc this is not the right DL , so i just tried it) ill increase the height aswell of the bar so you could see my technique

in the 1st video you're moving the bar around your kness, rather than moving the knees 'back' to allow a straight bar path.

GoT

new video's with a better technique i hope... comment on it plz so i could learn

(today was the worst workout ever couldnt do any of the last weeks weights guess its cuz i barely slept 6hrs)

deadlift 135 lbs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMDyd3rbHb8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAUXpwV3QA4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRCM7XSey64

The quality of the vid is really dodgy but a few things:
    1) did you see how as you were setting up when you lowered your hips the bar rolled away from you and you just sort of rolled it back a bit and then proceeded to deadlift it? Stand with the bar over your midfoot, grip the bar, and then KEEP THE BAR STILL while lowering the hips and your knees will move forward. Stop when your shins hit the bar without letting your shins push the bar away. Then raise your chest, tighten your back, etc. That should be how you set up.

2) notice how when you're lowering the bar it makes a curved bar path because it has to move out past your knees. Stick your hips back first before bending your knees.

And that weight looked simple for you. Stack some plates on

Quote Originally Posted by confuzzl3don3 View Post
    The quality of the vid is really dodgy but a few things:
    1) did you see how as you were setting up when you lowered your hips the bar rolled away from you and you just sort of rolled it back a bit and then proceeded to deadlift it? Stand with the bar over your midfoot, grip the bar, and then KEEP THE BAR STILL while lowering the hips and your knees will move forward. Stop when your shins hit the bar without letting your shins push the bar away. Then raise your chest, tighten your back, etc. That should be how you set up.

2) notice how when you're lowering the bar it makes a curved bar path because it has to move out past your knees. Stick your hips back first before bending your knees.

And that weight looked simple for you. Stack some plates on
    Points taken, and yea that weight is like my rm20.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast