starting strength gym

Thread: Mid/Lower back pump on squats

Default Mid/Lower back pump on squats

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Is this normal? Not skeletal pain, just a huge pump and some slight muscle discomfort. Is this an indication that I'm doing something wrong/right?

Thanks.

Sounds normal to me.

Hey Ludwig, just a personal observation. I have noticed that I only get that pump when I have a hard time keeping my lower back tight. With some good hamstring stretching and solid form I never (I think) feel that. Any merit to this?

I haven't had lower back problems from the squat in a long time. I did hurt myself once a long time ago, and it was a totally different feeling from the pump and tiredness I feel after a typical workout. The lower back is involved in the movement isometrically, so I don't think feeling it there after squatting necessarily indicates anything abnormal. I'm sure this has some correlation with anthropometry and the resulting back angle produced by the movement -- I've got long femurs and so I squat fairly bent over.

What if you feel more pump on your back than on your legs? I never feel it on my legs.

I get sore and tired legs, never "pump", though. They sure as hell feel worked. Again, personal experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivroar View Post
    What if you feel more pump on your back than on your legs? I never feel it on my legs.
    Maybe don't worry so much about where you feel the pump. If the weight on the bar is increasing and your mechanics look good, you're doing the right things.

I've been going atg with squats in the last 3 months and getting serious back pumps. Month 4 and they are settling down fairly well although if I throw in 5x10 gm's post squats I can guarantee I will need a comfy spot to lie down on the floor between sets. When squatting to parallel I never get them at all.

On the other hand you don't want to ask me how my entire body feels after my first sled dragging experience on Monday. wow!

I think I figured out what the problem is with not feeling it on my thigs/butt. I'm not sitting back enough... rather I'm sitting down, and my knees are going past toes. Is this bad form??

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnivroar View Post
    I think I figured out what the problem is with not feeling it on my thigs/butt. I'm not sitting back enough... rather I'm sitting down, and my knees are going past toes. Is this bad form??
    The back pump is common. It will go away once your back has adapted. Here's my advice:

First, read the squat chapter again..
    Second, if that doesn't work, take a video, review it yourself, and then read the squat chapter again.
    Third, bring the book with you to the gym and read the squat section on your rest periods, video your sets and review them while you read the squat chapter.
    Take some ownership in figuring this out on your own. (Something I'm still working on learning myself.)