starting strength gym

Thread: quick question re: bounce

Default quick question re: bounce

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Does a wider stand raise the point at which you feel bounce?

I have been feeling SOME bounce for a while, but on my first "light wednesday" I decided to just slam down into the bottom for a couple sets. WAY more bounce, but also WAY below parallel. I'd like to get that bounce, but I don't want to drop so low. Is widening my stance the answer?

Thanks

It can change what you're bouncing off of. Narrow stance and you're probably hitting calves to hamstrings, if you're flexible enough to do so with an extended back.

Widening your stance will probably hit your knees and adductors more, and I'd be worried about bouncing off of your knees like that.

I'm speculating mostly.

I'm def keeping a tight back and I'm not hitting my calves.

I should clarify that I'm not using a NARROW stance and asking about a WIDE stance, I just mean an adjustment of an inch +/- and how it affects the height where the bounce is felt. I definitely mean proper hamstring bounce.

I'd say widening stance will clearly raise the level of the bounce. It's fairly easy to deduce this because it's much harder to hit depth with a wide stance. My only concern is bouncing with a wide stance, though I see that's not what you're asking; you're asking about a wider stance. It's probably fine.

I don't really know by how much it will affect the height of the bounce, but there's probably a sliding scale effect.

I meant to experiment with yesterday's light day, but I simply forgot. I was just dropping hard to the bottom and bouncing and the bounce was awesome, but the depth was probably too much to handle with my friday weight. I'll try an inch wider on friday and see if my usual depth (a bit below parallel) is any bouncier than normal.

If anyone has any solid first-hand experience with this adjustment, please toss your pennies in.

Quote Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
    Does a wider stand raise the point at which you feel bounce?

I have been feeling SOME bounce for a while, but on my first "light wednesday" I decided to just slam down into the bottom for a couple sets. WAY more bounce, but also WAY below parallel. I'd like to get that bounce, but I don't want to drop so low. Is widening my stance the answer?

Thanks
    Yes and yes to both questions

Thanks. I'll try that out tomorrow and prepare to cry about my hamstrings all weekend

A wider stance makes you bounce more efficiently off your adductors, not the knee. I can't really see how one would bounce off one's knees, actually.

starting strength coach development program
    Stand really close to the wall