starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody else have this problem on deads...

Default Anybody else have this problem on deads...

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Does anybody else have problems getting all 5 deadlifts done in one set? Today, I was going for 375 lbs for 5. I could only get three in succession but the combination of heavy weights, bending over and my belt kept me from getting good, deep breaths. After the first three I had to stand up, take a couple deep breaths and reset for one rep. I did the same to get the last rep. I would have liked to nail them all consecutively, but I couldn't seem to get enough air in my belly. Admittedly, this is pretty near my max for the deadlift but it seems more a matter of getting air than the heaviness of the weights for me.

yeppers, same problem. That's why I stopped using a belt probably 6 months ago on deads. problem solved.

I like doing two sets of 3 instead.

Same here. My form goes to hell after 3 reps. I think I'll switch from 1x5 to something like 1x3, 1x2, 1x1, with added weight for every set. I don't know, what do you suggest?

I thought this was normal. I end up doing something like 3 straight reps, wait 3-6 seconds, do the 4th, wait 4-10 seconds and do the 5th. Is there anything wrong with that?

I asked this question the other day, about having to re-grip and if the set still counted as a set of 5 reps if you had to re-grip/adjust.

Rip said in the deadlift chapter that as long as you aren't dicking off during a re-grip, ie: getting water or something, then it still counts. I don't remember the exact wording but that was the idea.

I still count them. Pull as many as I can in succession and then re-grip, bust em out again, and re-grip one more time if needed.

Yeah, I've still made better progress on two full and distinct sets (sometimes a 3rd if I'm feeling strong) of 3 reps.

Quote Originally Posted by Sami View Post
    Yeah, I've still made better progress on two full and distinct sets (sometimes a 3rd if I'm feeling strong) of 3 reps.
    Sounds interesting, since my form usually degrades on the 5th rep due to fatigue.

What do the SS guru's think?

Taking a few secs to regrip/breathe is OK. Deadlifts are taxing enough without feeling like you're doing them with other aggravating factors in the way like a lack of air, belt gouging out your ribs etc.

As long as you're pulling good weight from the floor regularly, you're doing fine.

starting strength coach development program
    Way I see it, so long as the hands remain on the bar, it's the same set.

I mean, when else would it officially be a new set? After more than one breath? Ten breaths? A minute?

Save the finicky definition type stuff for competition day. When training, if your hands stay touching the bar, it's the same set.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast