starting strength gym

Thread: Thanks!

Default Thanks!

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    No question, just a big thank you from an old man who is no longer broken down. Last year I got tired of being old, fat, and weak. I decided to try weight training and found your books on amazon.

Family and job limited me to only about two or three months of actually doing the program, but even when I'm not progressing, I still try to go in regularly and squat, just to keep from detraining. Here's how it went.

Age 41->42 (had a birthday in the middle of the program)
    Height 5'10"
    BW 175-205 (all weights in pounds)
    Squat 95->275
    Bench 135->200
    Deadlift 165->365

I never stalled, but found I had to suspend the program for other reasons, injury (unrelated to the program), schedule, and job demands being among them. Oh, to be young with my shirt tail untucked and nothing on my mind again!

What I found remarkable was that someone of my advanced age, with no prior weight-training experience and no hormone supplements, was able to make progress if I just followed the program. All I had to do was eat well and tolerate some weight gain, something most men of my age won't do.

Again, just a hearty "thank you" for all the resources you and the others on your team have put together!

Nice job. Get your non-lifting shit together, and keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by This Old Man View Post
    Age 41->42 (had a birthday in the middle of the program)
    Height 5'10"
    BW 175-205 (all weights in pounds)
    Squat 95->275
    Bench 135->200
    Deadlift 165->365
    (...)
    What I found remarkable was that someone of my advanced age, with no prior weight-training experience and no hormone supplements, was able to make progress if I just followed the program. All I had to do was eat well and tolerate some weight gain, something most men of my age won't do.
    Kids!

Seriously, that's nice work for someone totally new to weight training. There are plenty of us on the board with 10 to 20 years on you. Believe us, DTFP and eat well and you will be amazed at the results. There's no reason not to have 30 more solid years of training in front of you. And when you really "get to be our age" and your friends start falling apart all you'll worry about is finishing your 3x5 squats. Check The Elderly section for some more, ahem, advanced discussion but don't be surprised if a pup like you gets chased back to the main threads.

Advanced age??? You're only 42. You can continue to do great things for a few decades. Come join the rest of us with that distinguished touch of gray. Start a log here, you'll find there are more people here your age and older (like uh, 60) who will be happy to encourage, assist, and give you the occasional red ass of good natured advice.

That's wicked good stuff right there. It is rare for a pure rookie to get that much done on their own. The entire industry (Globo gyms, Crossdressfit, PL, and even country club work) would be a better place to work if everyone who said they wanted results actually wanted to earn them (like you) vice have them provided for them somehow. Nice work. Good bar movin. You got lucky in finding Rippetoe books in your internet search. Could have been much worse. It's my rest day but now I want to go lift. Good stuff.