starting strength gym

Thread: Stuck bench

Default Stuck bench

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Well, I'm at a loss, so I'm going to ask this again.

Stats: Age 38, BW 210, Squat 225, DL 315, Press 110, Bench, stuck at 165.

Worked up to 180 on bench a couple of months ago and strained a pec on my dominant side. The injury didn't seem significant, it was sore for a couple of days, not swollen or bruised. I laid off bench for a week.

Worked back up to 170 and got stuck, stayed there for 3 weeks, then backed off 10%. Worked back up to 165, but couldn't get 170 and then backed off yet again.

Asked this question in the "training" section. The consensus was that I should micro-load, so I ordered some 1.25lb plates. Lifted 165 3x5 last week without too much difficulty, the last few reps were hard, but they went up. Today, I went in with my small plates, loaded up 167.5 on the bar. First set was hard. Second set went to shit quickly, forth rep was a joke and I failed badly on the last rep. Third set, I couldn't get more than two reps.

When I fail, it's the injured area that feels weak and won't respond to my desire to push harder. It doesn't hurt, really other than some odd tightness. I'm perplexed at what I should do from here. In the last month or so I've added significant weight to my squats and DL, but I wonder how to get my bench moving again.

How much rest do you get between sets?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    How much rest do you get between sets?
    No less than 5 minutes, usually closer to 10. Took 10 minutes between the first and second sets. After I failed during the second set, I waited ~7-8 minutes.

Then this becomes a problem I cannot solve over the intrawebze.

Shit. No tips on programming at all? Pretty sure I just need to train through it, but I can't add weight.

starting strength coach development program
    If you're microloading, resting adequately, eating enough, and sleeping enough, then you are already doing the things that make everybody else strong. I guess your injury may be more significant than you think.