starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not working - going for fat loss - ideas?

Default Not working - going for fat loss - ideas?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Posted this on Andy's page, but then noticed he's out of town.

Age 48
    Height: 5'10''
    Weight: 195
    Dead 1RM: 405
    Squat 1RM: 335 (going for 345 today)
    Bench 1RM: 197
    Press 1RM: 141 (Calculated - did 138x2)
    BF%: 20-25%, depending on the machine - in any case my belly hangs over my pants.

Sorry if anyone views this as heresy, but "just" being strong is not my only goal.

I just quit my job and have some free time. I've made tremendous progress in the last 1.25 years of serious training - added a ton of strength and muscle. Recently I’ve been dieting as well. I’ve lost fat and my blood numbers have gone from "Pre-diabetic" to healthy (cholesterol, blood glucose and liver enzymes, to be specific). Now I want to destroy those numbers and get into the "super healthy" range by improving endurance, losing the extra fat I'm carrying and getting LDL below 100. Not going for a six-pack, but I'd like to have a relatively flat belly. Most importantly, I want to get off of Lipitor and from what I read, a 10-14% BF should do that in my situation.

After doing SS, I've been running 5/3/1 for 8 cycles. Getting close to having to reset - already missing a rep here and there, but have been hitting the heaviest rep on the "1" week, so I’ve kept advancing, albeit with smaller weight increases. I've also been doing conditioning 2-3x/ week: (sled pulls, sprints, rower, kettlebell swings, ropes, ball slams, jump rope, etc). I've also been walking a decent amount.

I am not constrained by time, but I am constrained by limitations caused by age (volume, recovery). In order, goals are to: Cut bodyfat by 10%, improve conditioning (going skiing this winter and want to go hard without stopping), maintain or increase strength, add or maintain muscle. In other words, while all four goals are important, fat loss and conditioning take priority right now.

What are y’alls thoughts on programming? Should I stay on 5/3/1 (most likely with resets)? Switch to a total body program 3-4 days per week? Do some sort of 6-day bodybuilding split,? Texas Method? HLM? What type and volume of conditioning do people recommend? I have read “To Be A Beast” and “Death By Prowler”

Currently I'm leaning towards staying on 5/3/1 and adding Boring But Big in order to preserve or build mass, while keeping weight sessions to ~1hr. I also plan to do metcon/hiit type conditioning 3-4 days/week and adding some and also doing hard conditioning 5-6 (maybe 7) days per week, while only doing ropes the day before leg day. (I considered Crossfit, briefly, but then decided I don't feel like getting injured.) I will continue restricting calories.

Sorry for the long post. As you can see I got some time on my hands!

Sounds like you need to get your diet together, not your training.

Sorry for not including this data. While its very hard to hit exactly, current base case is:
    Calories: 2000/day
    Protein 200gms
    Carb: 125gms
    Fat 80gms

I eat approx 500-750 more calories on training days at approximately the same ratios. I've dropped 5lbs the last month and 13lbs the last 2 months.

That doesn't seem like a lot of food.

Do this
    To Be A Beast | Barbell Medicine

Are you sure you are doing your HIIT sessions correctly, can't believe you say you want to do 3 sessions a week and the WANT TO ADD 6 more "hard conditioning" sessions on top of that?

Unless your idea of HIIT is way off, yeah I'd say look at your diet/ accuracy of calorie counting

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    Are you sure you are doing your HIIT sessions correctly, can't believe you say you want to do 3 sessions a week and the WANT TO ADD 6 more "hard conditioning" sessions on top of that?

Unless your idea of HIIT is way off, yeah I'd say look at your diet/ accuracy of calorie counting
    sorry. i want to increase from 2 or 3 to 5 or 6.

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    That doesn't seem like a lot of food.

Do this
    To Be A Beast | Barbell Medicine
    Thanks. I'll read it again. I am doing 2000-2500 cals vs. his recommended 2286. I am eating fewer carbs than he recommends and less protein. I'll try to up the protein and reduce fat.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    5'10", 195, 48

You want to be 10-14%BF? Have you ever been 10-14%BF? Do you know what it looks like?

Time to get some clean meals together. Lots of lean protein and even more greens.

You can scale 5/3/1 pretty easily. No TM. HLM is possible. Doing 5/3/1 with BBB is counter-intuitive.

You can also just add 10-15 minutes on a bike/rower on the beginning and end of sessions (not all-out shit), if time isn't a factor.
    Great point. I've never been that low, and it certainly may not be do-able or desirable even. Do you think I'm cool where I am or should I shoot for 15-17%?

Quote Originally Posted by muntz View Post
    sorry. i want to increase from 2 or 3 to 5 or 6.
    That's alot of HIIT, 3 sessions, if really HIIT.

Six would be ridiculous, for 48 yo 195# on 2,000 cals....along with lifting/ strength training.

Have you had your test levels checked?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    That's alot of HIIT, 3 sessions, if really HIIT.

Six would be ridiculous, for 48 yo 195# on 2,000 cals....along with lifting/ strength training.

Have you had your test levels checked?

Thanks. I need to have "free test" check. I had total Test checked and it was inside the normal range, albeit on the low side.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast